Chapter 20

"When we get married, you'll cook every morning," said the brunette with a full mouth, tucking into my jam-covered pancakes.

"Of course, I will cook every morning for my husband. And you, if you want, can come visit," I said, smiling, deciding to play along.

"Do I have a competitor?"

"Mr. Norton, you are beyond any competition!" I said, putting my hand to my chest, "but I don't need your golden cage."

"And how did I displease such a beautiful creature?" He leaned against the countertop and closer to me.

"I'm actually surprised that you're familiar with the word 'marry'. It's unusual for people like you," I said as I ignored his movement and, with an unflappable face, continued drinking my coffee.

"And what kind is that?"

"Fickle."

"...Norton was constantly dragging him around to the ladies..." A friend's words resurfaced, but I did not want to give her away.

"Why did you draw that conclusion?" His right eyebrow crept up, and in these moments, he was insanely handsome...

I wanted to run my palm through his dark hair and feel the softness with my fingertips, to drown in the bottomless depths of those blue eyes. To be consumed by the fire springing from his inviting lips...

So, Alana, put those thoughts out of your head. Enough is enough...

"Have you ever had a relationship with plans for more than just a night or two?" Feeling an awkward moment, I lowered my eyes so as not to burn literally from my thoughts.

"It's never too late to try something new." His enigmatic tone caught my attention again. "We can start today."

"Start what?" I didn't understand what he was getting at, or I was just being a fool.

"A serious relationship."

"And who is your victim?" I don't envy her...

"You."

My coffee almost spurted through my nose. Did I hear right?

"Oh no, thanks! Do I look like a guinea pig? I had enough of experiments in my life, and it didn't lead to anything good," I said with a sad grin. I caught Mike's interested expression opposite me, as if his eyes were asking me to continue.

"Will you share?"

"No way..." Gathering the plates from the table, I turned to the sink and began washing the dishes.

Mike came up from behind and stuck his hands on either side of me, snatching the sponge and plate from my hands. I was now sandwiched between him and the countertop.

"What are you doing?" My voice trembled slightly with excitement.

"Isn't this plate mine? I want to wash it myself..."

"I won't get in your way! The foam washes away, and you won't dirty your hands." I wanted to break free from his embrace, but I could not.

Norton stepped forward sharply, pressing his whole body into me so that my hands slid into the sink. I rested my ass on his groin, to which I heard a long exhale with a whistle. It was a very frank gesture on his part.

I expected a panic outburst, but nothing like that happened. Fear shackled my body, tensing every muscle, but despite this, I had a knot below my stomach... What is this? Am I excited? How is that possible? I thought I would never perceive guys with sexual desire again, but Mike burst into my life and changed everything!