Chapter 11

The nightmares were back again. I had been waking up in a cold sweat and tears every night for a week. Jessica was really concerned about my well-being. She was waiting patiently for me to share my pain with her, but I wasn't ready yet to reveal myself completely, even though I trusted her.

The excessive attention was surprising and frightening at the same time. Previously, only my family needed me, and here the blonde was constantly hanging around me. Her actions were leading me to a state of confusion, because I was an absolute stranger to this girl, and she treated me like a sister.

Once, I caught myself thinking that I didn't want to cause trouble for anyone, so I decided to rent a room or an apartment. For the first time, I would ask my parents for money and, depending on my workload at the university, I would find a job. I voiced my thoughts to Jessica. Of course, she was upset but agreed to help me search for a suitable option. In fact, she insisted on her apartment, which surprised me a lot!

"Why do you live on campus?" I asked, as it was bothering me.

"My apartment is across the town. It's a long way to go from there, and I like to sleep, especially if I've been cramming hard all night."

The guys spent the entire week with us, and if Alex joined in communication in every possible way, then Mike kept himself separately. After that incident at the fountain, I was ashamed to face him. However, I got either a thoughtful look or a grin from him from time to time. That was an odd reaction.

Do I really annoy him so much?

There were three days remaining before classes, and I needed to be alone with my thoughts. After asking my friends to give me time, I left the campus and wandered around the nearest park. I bought a coffee and went for a walk in the evening sun.

Looking at the people passing by, I couldn't help thinking that their lives were better than mine. No one stabbed them in the backs, no one broke their hearts into million pieces, turning them into dust. They did not undergo a month-long rehabilitation in a mental hospital and did not fight with their demons for a normal existence. None of them experienced panic attacks or nightmares. Although... Who knows, I'm not a psychic.

Emotions overwhelmed me again, and salty tears streaked across my face. My lips were trembling in unison with my hands, and I could hardly hold the cup, so I put it aside altogether.

Why did you do this? I trusted you with the most valuable thing that I had — my soul. And you trampled on me.

Why did you do this, M...?!

"Excuse me, can I sit here?" A female voice interrupted my thoughts. Without turning to the source of the sound, I looked at the nearby empty benches. I was just about to object, but my mouth automatically closed when I saw who was standing in front of me.

"Amanda? H-hello!" Hastily wiping my cheeks, I stood up, pointing to the bench. "Of course you can. Please take a seat. What are you doing here?"

"Thank you, honey." She sat down and patted the bench, reminding me to sit next to her. "We live in Boston, and I take a walk in different parks every weekend. I didn't expect to meet you. Are you from here too?"

I appreciate her tactfulness. She did not start asking questions, seeing my face swollen from tears, but distracted me with an extraneous topic.

"No, I came here to study. I entered Harvard University, but I'm from New York."

"Harvard? Mike's also studying there," she glanced at me mysteriously. I looked away, remembering his cold eyes. "I think you'll meet again. What specialty did you enroll in?"