Chapter 8

Mike

What an intolerable girl! We kind of established a connection, but on the next day I found out that they moved out before the scheduled date. In another situation, I wouldn't care, but I was really upset that she disappeared without a word, without even saying goodbye.

What did you expect, idiot? Mrs. Moore was right that evening...

***

Evening. For some reason or the other, I showed up at her house again... The girl made it clear that she didn't want to have anything to do with me, but did that ever stop me? No... Actually, I have never been in such situations. Is it my dignity hurt or something else? I need to sort myself out - she will not get away from me.

I knocked at the door. A second, two, three... The door opened, and I felt some disappointment, though I tried to hide it.

"Good evening, Mrs. Moore," I tried to be as polite as I could. Who knows what rumors they have already heard about me.

"Hello! Mike, right?" She opened the door wider, inviting me to come in.

Surprise... I went in, looked around and smiled when on the coffee table I noticed those miserable flowers that I picked on my way here. What a shame, I should have ordered a more decent bouquet. Samantha had an apron on, which meant she was making a festive dinner, and it was strange because I had other plans for her daughter tonight.

She offered me a glass of juice and invited me to sit, settling herself in front of me.

"Mike," her look was full of determination, and I already knew what she was about to say. "Alana told me about your run-ins."

"I didn't doubt it." I couldn't hold back a grin, but then I realized that my behavior was tactless. Instead, I pursed my mouth and gazed into space.

Samantha pretended she didn't notice it and continued:

"The way you behaved on the way to the resort was extremely outrageous, and what happened in the parking lot was out of bounds. In a good way, we should report you to the police, Mike, but I am grateful to you for not abandoning Alana, but providing medical assistance, although technically you did kidnap her. Yet, I don't get why you've moved us to a different apartment."

"I like her, and I want to get to know her better. Is it so bad? Besides, this part of the resort has its privileges. Didn't you like today?" I looked at her challengingly, but Alana's mother was rock solid.

"That makes it look like you're stalking her. Try to understand, Alana had a difficult past, and you'll never get her attention, going about it this way. I think I don't need to tell you how many mistakes you've made, and they've already pushed her away from you, though any other girl would be fine. She didn't even take the gift, she left it on the steps. I still have it."

Now it's clear, this is the answer to my question of why they're cooking dinner at home. I sighed in despair, threw my head back, and closed my eyes.

"It had an invitation to dinner inside. That's why I'm here."

"You're beating the air," she said, turning away and raising herself from the couch. "Alana wouldn't go anywhere with you, and, I should admit, I wouldn't let her go, though she is a big girl."

What happened to her?

I needed to come up with some idea... I want to be with her, to look at her, to hear her charming voice, and I don't care about her weird behavior. Well, that's for later... Grandma! She is the key...