Chapter 5

I didn't have many clothes to choose from, so I put on a light white knee-length tunic; it came to just above my collarbones and matched my flat sole sandals. I dried my hair and pinned up my bangs. There wasn't anything else I could do with them. I put on some make-up and checked the mirror. Not bad, and my tanned skin goes well with the light fabric.

You shouldn't care... Do you want him to like you?

A knock at the door banished these thoughts, and my mom came into the room. "Sweetheart, you look beautiful! My little flower, how fast you've grown up! Eighteen years old... How the time flies..." Her voice was trembling, and I rushed to comfort the sentimental old woman. Otherwise, I would start crying too.

We entered the living room, where the young man was still waiting for us on the couch. At the sight of us, he stood up and smiled, then held his hand out to me. Why? I looked away and moved aside to get my backpack, then hurried to the front door.

The air was fresh, though the day was quite stuffy before. The mountain air smelled of purity and freedom! I would love to cast off the shackles of the past, flutter about, and head toward the sun, burning in its tender embrace. Sadly,  I am not a bird, and I do not know if I will trust anyone again...

I had a magnificent view from where I stood over the lower part of the resort, where I had planned to rest. Its lights twinkled as if telling me what I was losing out on while I was staying here at the top...

I heard steps behind me, looked around, and met Mike's gaze, examining me from head to toe.

"We didn't plan to go to a restaurant and didn't bring appropriate clothes. Maybe now you'll change your mind?" I asked, feeling awkward. In response, I got a slight grin.

"You both look beautiful. Don't even worry about it, Alana..." Mike said my name as he exhaled, stretching the sounds as if tasting them. "We have to go, Grandma must be tired of waiting."

At the mention of her, I beamed with joy. Mike Norton didn't lie after all, and Amanda will share this night with us. I did not know why I had such a reaction to her, but it felt like we were twin souls.

Our cottage was on the resort's outskirts, but from there we could see a beautiful central alley bubbling with nightlife.

We walked along an illuminated street that looked more like a gallery, and it felt like everyone was getting ready for Christmas. Garlands stretched above us, we saw various sculptures made lights about every five yards. The musical fountain in the center of the square had gathered quite a crowd of people, each desperate to take a selfie with it.

Looking at the smiling faces of the passers-by, I involuntarily envied them: at least they had a reason to smile.

And what about me?

A mousy person with no friends and with a broken past. Of course, I would have liked to believe things will get better, but reality has a habit of punching you in the gut.

As far as we went, Mike was rustling with some small mint candies and kept offering them to us. He differed from how he seemed before, actually absolutely the opposite: open and sociable.

Pretending? Why?

"I want to quit smoking. They say mint candies can be a substitute for cigarettes, but so far, I don't see any results. I just got another habit," he answered my silent question.

It felt like we walked for ages. Mike strolled along, trying to brush against my hand from time to time. I couldn't stand it and moved to the other side of my mom, casting a puzzled glance at him. He bit his lip and continued walking, deep in thought. We passed one restaurant, then another one, then shops, a nightclub, and recreation areas. I was toying with the idea that Mike Norton simply forgot where we were going when he halted.