Chapter 34

Author

Washington, USA

The beautiful building in the neoclassical style attracted the eyes of both tourists and locals. It both frightened and delighted with its power, which emanated from the impressive columns and the sculptures Reflection of Justice and Rule of Law, both sides of the main entrance. It is not surprising that the Supreme Court of the United States of America is recognized as a national historical monument.

Conference room. The interior made an indelible impression, striking with its opulence: gold, stucco, heavy curtains made of red velvet and majestic Doric columns that gave the room sophistication. In this hall, one could admire the magnificent colonnade, and busts of ancient legislators and rulers who influenced the formation of the judicial system, but today the atmosphere was tense.

The trial of Mark Wood continued, and this time his family could not avoid publicity: the news spread with incredible speed. Only families and close acquaintances from both sides were present at the trial, but there was a crowd of journalists and reporters from various media outlets on the street, all eager for the outcome of this trial of an influential family's son.

On the agenda were not only Mark's alleged crimes under several articles of the Criminal Code, but also an appeal against the earlier decision of the Federal District Court of the Southern District of New York, in the case of the rape of Alana Moore a year ago. However, this case was postponed, as other persons had to be brought to justice. The judges were very surprised by the previous verdict of a suspended sentence, especially since the crime was committed against a minor.

A panel of judges entered the courtroom, and each of them took their rightful place. Those present stood up, showing respect for the Court, but Mark remained motionless. From the outside, it seemed he was mentally in another place. His face expressed pain and despair, and in his eyes, there was a solid emptiness and hopelessness, because his beloved was in the hospital, fighting for her life. He was losing the one who had become his whole world.

What he didn't have was remorse. Wood did not regret what he had done, but nothing would save him this time. Amanda Norton gathered enough evidence for the prosecution: a camera with a large amount of compromising materials, seized during a search of the house; the surveillance video from the hotel; medical records and their conclusions; Alana's suicide note, and even some materials from a year ago.

The proceedings began. Mark sat and stared at one point, crumpled and with a swollen face after the fight. Judging by his relaxed posture and detached gaze, he didn't seem to care about what was going on around him. But his mother, who sat next to him, was restless, adjusting her clothes and hair. A man in a business suit was bustling around next to them. Wood refused a lawyer, realizing that this time he could not escape punishment. And did he really want to? However, his parents insisted on at least some representation.

On the other side was a table where the prosecutor and the victim's representative, Samantha Moore, Alana's mother, sat. Wood's gaze often lingered on this woman, because she looked so much like her...

There were several charges against Mark: kidnapping, rape, and aggravated assault. Unfortunately, driving a person to suicide would have been difficult to prove.

Wood kept his head straight, confirming every word of the accusations and unconditionally agreeing with the punishment. However, as Mike Norton started his testimony, Mrs. Wood lost her temper and, breaking the silence in the hall, poured out accusations against the witness.

"Your Honor! Please bring this man to justice for his attempt on my son's life! He not only inflicted serious injuries that are visible to the naked eye but also tried to shoot him!"