Chapter 3

It was all like a living nightmare.

I tossed about in the car, already silently saying goodbye to my dear parents, and damning this life for walking all over me. We drove for about ten minutes. I soon realized that the road brought us to the upper part of the resort, to the village for the rich.

"Please, don't touch me... I'm begging you," I whispered, repeating it like a mantra, looking at the stranger with my eyes already red from crying.

He kept throwing me weird glances in the rear-view mirror, his lips pursed and his brow furrowed. He stopped the car, got out, and opened the door beside me.

"I am not going anywhere! Please, don't make me... Take me back," I squealed and huddled myself up in the opposite corner like a frightened animal.

"Do you think you're a princess, that I have to shuttle you back and forth? I need to make sure you're fine and then you can leave any way you want. Get out, I said!"

"No!"

In one movement, he dragged me out of the car, and with me slung over his shoulder, he walked toward the house.

"I did nothing wrong! Please, no! Please, let me go, I'm not gonna tell anyone! I'm begging you, I can't stand it anymore!" I was screaming like crazy, trying to break free. Maybe if I screamed loud enough, somebody will help me? By the time I had that thought, my captor had already stepped across the threshold of the house.

"What's going on here?" a woman's voice asked, and finally, he put me down.

I darted to the opposite wall and immediately began looking for an escape. We found ourselves in a lobby that flowed smoothly into a spacious living room. There, on a big and expensive couch, I saw two women, both looking extremely classy. Horrified by my appearance, they stood up. Hardly surprising, as I was not exactly dressed for a dinner party.

Why did he bring me here?

"Oh, my God, what happened?" an elderly woman asked. Cautiously, to not startle me with an abrupt movement, she came up to me, and as I let her, she led me to a couch to sit down.

"I was going to talk to you about that," interrupted the guy. "Look at her, grandma! She bumped her head against something. I got scared! And on top of that, it looks like she's gone off the rails!"

"I'll go get the first-aid kit. Darling, relax, please." Everybody filed out of the living room and I was left by myself.

"What did you do? Are you insane? Your attitude to the people around you has been absolutely absurd lately, Mike! If this girl sues you – I'll personally stand up for her!" an upset woman's voice screeched. I wasn't eavesdropping, as the conversation happened in the next room. Only now even the walls seemed to be on my side, just like these nice women.

I'm safe with them... At least with the older one. A wave of unbelievable warmth emanated from her, and I would like to get to know her better. Such a pity that it's impossible. Ok... So, he's Mike...

The screaming died down, and after a while, everyone came back.

"We haven't introduced ourselves. I am Amanda Norton, grandmother of this rascal," the older woman said, as she sat down in front of me with the first-aid kit.

A stunningly beautiful woman, though with some wrinkles. Light hair styled loosely, yet looking gorgeous. Chiseled cheekbones and a kind look to her eyes. From the first moment, she enraptured me with her luminous presence.

"I am Nicole Norton, his mother," the other attractive woman said, extending her hand.

She looked different from the one sitting in front of me; so, probably her daughter-in-law. Dark hair in an elegant French twist. Her beautiful yet watchful eyes gave the impression of some aloofness. No wonder, as they had some ragged woman in their house, though against her will. I saw her smooth, manicured hands, and I felt a strong desire to hide my own neglected hands. That, however, would have been rude on my part.

All right, I'll let them see. What do I have to lose? Nothing. I'll never see them again...

"Alana Moore. Nice to meet you, too," I said as I shook her hand. "I apologize for my appearance; usually I look better when I visit people."

After getting the medical help I needed, I didn't know how to express my gratitude. I couldn't even start a conversation, since the atmosphere was already pretty tense.

"Darling, how long are you going to stay? You should rest in bed for a couple of days," Amanda said kind-heartedly.

"Bed rest was definitely not on my agenda, but I'll think of something," I answered vaguely with a smile. I hoped they would not give me unsolicited advice to rest for longer. Our finances would simply not allow it.

"Alana," Nicole said, "what it would take to make up for today's confusion? Please, don't get me wrong. We don't want any trouble."

Suddenly an unpleasant memory from the past resurfaced - when people just wanted to buy their way out:

"Mr. Moore, Mrs. Moore, please recall your claim! No need to ruin the boy's life. He's just a child! Just name the figure. We'll pay for everything! Any treatment, doctors, any clinic, even in another country!"

I felt as if I had received an electric shock. A tear treacherously came down my cheek, and I hurriedly brushed it away.

"Mrs. Norton, we shouldn't sadden such a pleasant acquaintance with money issues. All I want is a peaceful vacation with my mother. But if you really want to help, please call a cab for me," I replied. I swallowed the lump in my throat, trying to put on a mask of friendliness.

A stony silence settled on the room. They looked perplexed, and I unwittingly thought: was that too rude? And for some reason, I felt ashamed.

"I'll take you back," Mike said, breaking the silence. I felt a wave of fear creep up my spine, making me straighten up. Their eyes burned through me as they were waiting for my reply. But I kept looking into his mother's eyes, trying to hint that I still preferred a cab.

"Darling, my driver will take you anywhere you want. I'll show you out," Amanda said as she touched my hand warmly and tenderly, urging me to follow her.

"Goodbye, Mrs. Norton. I'm sorry if I've offended you."

"Not at all, darling. I hope to see you again soon," she replied and her sincere smile reminded me of my mom's. That warmed my heart.

It was, of course, debatable whether we would meet again. Deciding to keep this thought to myself, I just smiled sweetly and left the house. I had nothing in common with them or their world. For the life of me, I could not imagine how or why I would ever meet them again.

When I reached the hotel, my mom fell upon my neck, then examined me closely from head to toe. My state caused panic and terror within her. Just an hour and a half ago, there was not a scratch on her daughter. It took me some time to bring her back to her senses; I even had to ask the hotel staff for a sedative. So, with pain and misery, but we finally checked into our room.

"It's the first and the only time I've agreed to celebrate my birthday away from home and without Dad... Actually, I'm not even sure how I'm going to study at university. If I ever make it that far. I still can't control my emotions, and I'm afraid it could be a problem."

"You should get out more and make new friends, Alana. You'll never learn to control your negative emotions if you only ever deal with people on the Internet."

Having unpacked my stuff, I went to take a shower and rinse off this terrible day. We changed, and made ourselves comfortable on a soft couch. I shared the story of my long absence, as I couldn't explain what had happened on the phone. The day was supposed to be at its end, but the loud ringing of the phone startled us both.

"Good evening, Miss Moore. It's the front desk calling. I'm sorry, but during your check-in, something went wrong with the database. Someone else has already booked this room before you – they're arriving tomorrow morning. On behalf of the hotel, I offer you our deepest apologies. Please come down to reception with your luggage, and we'll try our best to resolve the issue."