Chapter 24

Norton behaved strangely all evening: he was looking at me all the time and constantly thinking about something. He was polite and careful, as if he was afraid of scaring me away, but the closer our date came to its end, the more often he touched me.

When Mike entered the apartment, he helped me take off my coat and, to my surprise, also took off his own.

"Are you going to spend the night here again?"

"Why not?"

The guy pulled me to him, nuzzling my neck, inhaling my scent. His action turned off everything reasonable in my head. However, I had little to drink, and the feeling of fear sent SOS signals to my brain in huge letters. I wasn't ready for intimacy yet...

"Mike... I'm not... I don't think we should continue," I said, coming out of the sweet haze as I tried to move away from him, but he clung on with a death grip.

"Alana, let's face it, there's more than just a minor attraction between us."

"It's difficult to explain, Mike... I'm not sure I can sleep with you at all." Mike's embrace weakened, and I pushed him away.

"Just don't start talking crap about our difference in status and other such nonsense. I'm already tired of hearing this," the brunette said as his mood changed in the blink of an eye. "Is it because of him? Do you still love that freak?"

"What?! No! Although yes, it's about him, but... You don't understand!"

"If someone from high society could not satisfy you, it doesn't mean we're all like that! You've only fucked one guy, and you don't even have anyone to compare it with! Besides, why aren't you together? After all, Wood obviously has the hots for you!"

His words hurt me. I opened my mouth, but the words stuck in my throat, an unspoken lump, cutting off my oxygen supply. Many times, I have convinced myself that no one needs me as an ordinary person. Once again, I promised myself that I wouldn't fall in love with anyone. And again the same mistakes: status, the wrong guy and his superiority.

"Go away," I said faintly, trembling with resentment, trying to swallow my tears.

He didn't even try to understand me...

"Are you going to run to that scumbag?" the brunette asked with a smirk.

"I said, out!!!" I went to the front door and opened it.

It did not take him long to leave the apartment, after which I slammed the door loudly. Slipping to the floor, I could no longer restrain my sobs, completely surrendering myself into the arms of the goddess Tristaris1...

***

It was not a very good morning: my whole body felt weak, and I was not in the mood for anything at all. I did not want to go anywhere, and I was tired of thinking about studying. But I had to pull myself together and not be grumpy. I came here to gain knowledge, not to get entangled in love affairs. How tired I am of everything... And why am I not a rainbow pony?

Today I was free until lunch, and my friends were already waiting for me near the university.

"Don't you both have anything else to do?" I asked, and my question sounded a little rude even to my ears.

"We do, and we need you for this," Jessica replied, as if not noticing my dissatisfied tone. The blonde beamed like a cut diamond. "We're going to the mall to pick out dresses for tonight!"

"Stop it! Hold on - I'm not going anywhere," I interrupted the girl, who looked at me, baffled.

"But... Mike said he'd go with you today," Alex interjected.

"When did he say that?" That's what I don't understand about guys' logic at all.

"Yesterday, he hinted, and today he confirmed. Alana, what's going on between you two? After your date, Mike just about tore down the entire campus!"

I left the question unanswered, took out my phone, and dialed Mike's number. The call went straight to voicemail, which I was secretly a little glad about.

"Norton, you're not that stupid. Didn't our farewell yesterday annul my consent to accompany you today?" Throwing my mobile phone back into my bag, I walked around the couple and headed for the apartment, but, turning around, I still said goodbye.

"Guys, I'm sorry, but I'm not in the mood at all. I love you both. See you later!" And I left.

The surprises didn't end there. Someone called in the cavalry and Amanda made contact. It was she who announced this soiree, and she was very much looking forward to my presence as her dear guest. To all my excuses, Mrs. Norton replied she would not take 'no' for an answer. A very stubborn woman! And at four o'clock in the afternoon, two girls stood on the doorstep of the apartment.

"If I refuse you, will Amanda be very offended?" I asked, purely for curiosity's sake.

"I'm afraid we're going to lose our jobs, miss," one of them said. They looked genuinely worried. Do I really give the impression of an evil aggressor?

I had to let the visitors in and let them do their job. Did Mrs. Norton decide to make a beautiful doll out of me? She sent over a luxurious, dark blue, floor-length dress with a small train, which was tight, but at the same time restrained. The shoulders and sleeves are made of openwork knitting, and fastened in the back with a corset with many buttons. Also included were black shoes with very high heels.

At least the stitches on my leg didn't come apart...

Stylists gathered my hair into an elegant hairstyle and applied evening makeup. Of the jewelry, I left only the little platinum key. Around eight o'clock in the evening, Amanda announced a car was waiting for me downstairs, and we would meet for dinner.

When I arrived, Alex hailed me, standing at the entrance and talking on his phone. He was alarmed to see me there.

"What made you change your mind?" the guy asked.

"Let's put it this way: I had no choice. Leaving aside your questions, this is the work of Mrs. Amanda Norton. Yes, we keep in touch. Our meeting happened completely by accident and had nothing to do with Mike. He doesn't even know about it."

"Wow..." Farrell gaped in confusion. "It's going to be very hot tonight, Lana, and you're going to be the star of the evening."

_______________________________________

1. Tristaris is the dark goddess of sorrow and suffering.