Epilogue

Alana, four years later

"Alana, relax. Nothing bad is going to happen." Mike was calm as always, and I was sitting on pins and needles.

"It's easy for you to say. You've had years of experience, and I'm scared to death of flying over water, especially over the Atlantic Ocean! No one will even look for us!" My fear turned my voice into a panicky squeak. When I closed the porthole, I remembered all my prayers, and I didn't care that I didn't know the words.

A couple of days ago, I got my bachelor's degree and was getting ready to go to medical school. So before I start my long, difficult training, my boyfriend decided to help me clear my head. After packing our bags, we went to the airport. It was only there that I found out we were going to Venezuela.

But the biggest blow was that it was not our destination! After waiting for several hours in the waiting room of the Maiquetia Simon Bolivar International Airport, we got onto another plane. This time, the route ran over the Caribbean Sea to Margarita Island. Fortunately, the flight lasted less than an hour, because I was running out of room for my gray hair...

"A strange choice for a getaway," I began the conversation to distract myself.

"Why? That's very beautiful. I'm sure you'll like it."

"I know something about this island. It was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1498 and named after the daughter of the Spanish king. Previously, the local Indian population was engaged in pearl harvesting."

"Believe me, there is a wide range of services here, and we'll not be bored. I have big plans for you!"

We landed at Santiago Marino Airport, a half-hour drive from the major city of Porlamar. We rented a car and drove to our modest accommodation on the Atlantic coast.

I hated waking up early and I'll never get used to it. Early the next morning, Mike turned his promised plans into reality. And so, we took a boat to the archipelago of Los Frailes, which is eight miles from the island.

Instructions were accepted, wetsuits put on, followed by diving equipment. Long live the water world! It pissed me off, though, that while I could almost not contain my excitement, my partner didn't move a muscle in his face. Mike sat with a pensive expression and tried not to look at me, although I was sure he felt my gaze.

La Pecha, where we stayed, was an ideal place for diving.

It was a completely different world! Very colorful! An enormous variety of all kinds of fish, squid, octopus in an underwater cave, countless sea urchins, starfish and corals! I was crazy about how all the different neighbors got along. I pointed my finger at everything like a crazy person, hoping that Mike would share in this childish joy.

To get my attention, he pointed at some oyster shells and, after he swam to them, scooped one up. Later, on the boat, Norton handed it to me with the words: "Suddenly there will be pearls, and then there will be something to remember," and also gave me a small carving knife and kneeled at my feet.

Having levered at the mollusk with the knife, I pushed the two halves open and froze. The air left my lungs. I wasn't breathing. Where was all the oxygen? On the oyster lay a black pearl, framed by a beautiful diamond set in a platinum finger rest. A ring... It was incredibly beautiful.

Don't look at Mike... Don't look at Mike... Don't look at that damn Norton, or I'll cry! But I could not, so I turned my gaze to my beloved's face.

"You came into my life unannounced and unexpectedly, and turned everything upside-down," he said, looking me straight in the eyes. "Our relationship has survived all kinds of disasters but, despite that, you're still here with me. I know I may have shocked you a bit now, Alana Moore, but I have to press on: Will you take my last name and live happily ever after with me?"

Looking back, I could not even think about marriage. The humiliation I once experienced got under my skin and stuck in my head. But the man on his knees before me destroyed all the walls I had built.

"What do you want me to say?"

Doubt flashed in his eyes, but he still sat motionless, waiting for my answer.

"How about something positive to your question?"

I calmly placed the ring on his palm, then straightened my back and gracefully extended my hand forward. Smiling, I said, "It's stupid to think I'm going to say 'no', right? I love you, Mike Norton."

With the ring on my ring finger, he pulled me to him. Rolling on the floor, I covered his lips with the most tender kiss I was capable of.