Chapter 4

"Is this a joke?" I said after the news nearly left me speechless. It was exactly the right time to pick a fight and to take out my accumulated frustration on someone.

"No, Miss. The cableway there is out of order, so we've arranged a hotel car for you. It's waiting for you at the entrance."

"I'm not going there!" My voice was like a bolt from the blue. "Are there no free rooms at all in the lower part of the resort? It's offseason, for Pete's sake!"

I was about to rant and rave like a raging lunatic. They would not understand my problem! Why do I always have to face the things that I try so hard to avoid?

"What's going on here, Cynthia?" a stranger asked from behind the receptionist, curious at the commotion.

We saw a stately man, dressed in a somewhat formal style. He was tall, with chestnut hair, blue eyes, and masculine features. He was my parents' age, and his appearance hinted that he might be the manager of the entire resort.

"Hello! My name is Ryan Farrell; I am the owner of this resort. How may I help two such beautiful ladies at this late hour?"

What is the owner doing here so late? Does he live here?

"We got kicked out of our room under the most absurd pretext I've ever heard!" I was boiling with rage and about to explode, but my mom kept pulling my hand down, trying to restrain me.

"Ms. and Mrs. Moore, I presume? Yes, I am aware of your situation. I gave direct orders for a better apartment to be provided to you since we've caused you such inconvenience. Is something else the matter?"

"There's nothing for us to do up there!" I shrieked. I looked intently at Mr. Farrell and got an uncomfortable feeling I could not understand.

Something is wrong here...

"Darling, please calm down. Why don't you look at the bright side?" Mom said as she tried to smooth things over. "Can we use the card key to visit the lower part of the resort and then get back up?" she asked him.

"With this card, you can move around the whole resort cableway network. No charge." He looked my mom over once, then turned his gaze on me.

We look alike - two peas in a pod, except for the age difference. Straight, light hair cascaded in waves down to the middle of her back, those beautiful green eyes that I got from her, a slim build hidden underneath a thick tunic, and slender legs. My mom looked quite glamourous, and it did not surprise me that a stranger felt attracted to her.

"Well, excellent! What a great way to pass the time," she said as she looked at me again and hugged my shoulders gently and encouragingly.

"Your key and your documents. Checkout is in five days, on August 17th, before noon. Enjoy your stay with us," the receptionist said hurriedly, before giving us the envelope with everything in it.

The thought that it all had happened for a reason obsessed me. My suspicions became stronger when I saw where our single-story, cozy cottage was located. The Norton's mansion was just two houses away, and I was convinced that it was Mike's doing.

The next morning, a knock on the door interrupted our breakfast, and as unbelievable as it was, the author of my misery was standing on our doorstep.

"Hi," he said, smiling with his hands behind his back.

My eyes opened wide with fear, and I slammed the door in his face. I pressed my forehead to the barrier between us and listened attentively for any sounds from the outside.

Did he come to kidnap me again?

"Is that instead of 'thank you?'" he asked, his voice calm. Perfect self-control. I could learn from him.