Chapter 26

Mike

Jealousy inflamed me as I watched their spontaneous dance, and the red mist of anger descended over me. I completely lost my head – everything became a blur. After some time, I heard someone calling me at the edge of my hearing, as if I was submerged underwater. In a daze, I shifted my gaze to the sound and met the angry face of my friend, who was holding me by my shirt collar.

"You're a fucking jerk, Player! When will you understand she wants to be with you, and not with him?!" Alex was practically screaming at me, right in my face. "It only depends on you, but you're so stupid, you can't see even the basic things. And if you start spreading rumors about Alana, I will personally unscrew your head, despite you being like a brother to me. Do you understand me?"

I pushed Alex away, barely able to stay on my feet. And even in this drunken state, I realized what I had done. Running out after Alana, I only glimpsed the departing taxi. Without thinking, I rushed to my car. Drunk driving had never stopped me before.

Catching up with the taxi on the highway, I signaled the driver to stop. He brazenly ignored me, but then I abruptly turned on the high beam, blinding this idiot. It worked; the driver pulled over to the side of the road. Cutting him off, I parked in front of the taxi, completely blocking their escape route. I took out a hundred-dollar bill, threw it to the driver in the front seat and told him to get out as quick as possible. Then I opened the rear passenger door.

"Get out," I ordered the girl.

"Didn't you say everything you wanted to?"

"You're right, I didn't! Get out!" Grabbing her by her arm, I pulled her out.

Storm clouds had been hanging over the city for a long time, and the rain did not wait any longer. Alana stood and silently looked into my eyes, waiting for more verbal diarrhea to pour from my lips. But this time I had a lump in my throat.

"And?" She was already tapping impatiently with one high-heeled foot. "Did you drag me out of a comfortable taxi just to get soaked in the fucking rain?" She delivered the end of that sentence with a squeal.

"Sit down. We need to talk." I grabbed her elbow and turned her toward my car.

Reaching out, Alana slapped me in the face again. I was ready to endure any blows, as long as she listened to me. Putting my arm around her waist, I dragged her to the car. Moore writhed like a snake, screaming and hitting me with her cute little fists. She also hurled curses at me.

"What do you want from me, asshole?" She kept pounding my chest while I lowered her to the ground. "Leave me alone!"

"I can't..."

"Of course you can't! You're a gambler, Norton! What's human life to you when you've already chosen a toy for torture? Why me?! Why does fate send me such moral freaks?! Leave me alone, Mike!"

Her voice broke into a scream, and this show attracted significant attention. Everyone slowed down around us to watch the quarrel, resulting in an impressive traffic jam. Someone filmed it on their phone. Someone else wondered if everything was fine and if they needed help with the car.

"Alana, please, let's sit in the car." Her behavior was just about to bring me to the boil. Was it really necessary to cause a scene?

"I'm not going anywhere with you! And get your hands off me! Why, Norton? Why are you torturing me? Why?!"

"Because I love you, damn it!" My scream hit her squarely in the face.

Hmm, such a wonderful confession is every girl's dream...

"What?" Moore whimpered in a weak voice.

"I'm consumed by jealousy at the thought that you once belonged to that prick Woody, and you might be with him again." I closed my eyes, leaning my head back, letting raindrops fall on my face.