Chapter 23

Alana

Opening my eyes to the sound of my alarm clock, I tried to get up. My head hurt terribly and my body ached. I promised myself I would not drink anymore if I had school the next morning. However, it was not the hangover that reminded me of last night. There was a large surgical patch stuck to my thigh, and a suture kit lay on the bedside table. Thanks to Dad for assembling the first aid kit 'just in case'.

"Either you give us both heaven, or I send both of us to hell..." What did he mean by that? Two things, but one thing I know for sure is that I should stay away from him.

Lord, what's going on in my life?

Sighing desperately, I began mentally comparing the two guys, since images of them were flashing through my head without pause, anyway.

Mike and Mark were very similar: both were from wealthy families, insanely handsome, but at the same time selfish and possessive to the core, but! Norton was accommodating. His behavior, when we got to know each other better, his actions, his evaluative and, at the same time pensive gaze, carried absolutely no threat.

I could not say this about Wood, from whose presence I wanted to disappear: a predatory grin, an intimidating look, and a demanding tone. All these qualities generated a feeling of worthlessness inside me, although this person claims to love me. Mark had such a negative energy, to feel bad, you just had to think about him. He, like a vampire, sucked out all the juices out of life, not leaving even a drop for a joyful existence.

To merely exist is what awaited me with him, and I wanted to live without suffocating with fear.

What should I do to have Mark leave me alone once and for all?

Okay... Putting my thoughts aside until better times and gathering myself, I prepared to leave the house to go study, but in the hallway, I saw an interesting picture. The brunette was sleeping on the threshold of my apartment. He smelled terribly of drink, and immediately questions arose: what kind of wind dragged him here? Did he have nowhere to live? And what should I do now? I was going to be so late...

I could not leave him on the floor like that. What would the neighbors think? I had to drag him into the apartment and lay him on the couch. How much did he weigh, this bastard? I already felt bad, and on top of this I now had to deal with him . After getting a glass of water, I poured it on Mike's face, as he didn't want to wake up any other way.

Norton jumped up, not knowing what was happening. It wasn't until his mind cleared that I made myself felt.

"Sorry, but I don't have time to mess around with you. You know where the toilet, shower and kitchen are. Wash and feed yourself. But there's no change of clothes for you. I'm sorry." I made a face and headed for the door, leaving the keys on the table. "If something goes missing, I know where to look for you. Please bring the keys to the uni. See you soon."

That day, the studies did not go well at all. There was no way I could focus on anything the teachers said, let alone take notes. Good thing my neighbor had the lazy habit of recording the lectures on a Dictaphone. I would have to ask her for the recordings later.

I spent the whole day thinking about Alex's words: Why was I afraid to talk about what happened between Mark and me? And I just could not. I got a lump in my throat and that was it. Amanda did not count. She was so dear to me. We still kept in touch. She also invited me to some party, but I had not thought about it much...

***

I fled out of the house, not knowing where to run. There was a forest nearby and no lighting around. My fear of going back into the house was stronger, so I went down the road instead, relying on my memory. Without walking ten meters, I heard an engine behind me. Well, I thought, that's it - I'm a corpse.