Chapter 9

Mike

I am not such an insensitive brute that I would not support my friend on such a day. The evening was in full swing; the club was packed, and the contest was going along at full speed, but I couldn't care less. I had only one girl on my mind. There was already enough drink in me, but the tension was still there. It felt like I was sitting on a powder keg.

"Bro, if you carry on like this, you'll die of organ failure and I won't get anything when I try to sell your parts! Enjoy the show! Look at those girls on the stage!" Alex was standing in the VIP area and watched the action with genuine interest.

"I don't want them..." I stretched myself out on a couch and focused on the ambient noise.

"Honey, you're so tense lately," a dark-haired girl who sat on my lap said, "Would you like me to massage you in one of the private rooms?"

She. Drives me. Nuts. God, give this idiot a brain so she can see I want her to leave me alone.

"Miranda, piss off. No matter how drunk I am, I'll spend my time with anyone but you. Fuck off," I pushed her off and got myself another whiskey.

"Flaming hot! Spicy chili pepper hot! Their bodies make women green with envy, their graceful movements stop men's hearts! Welcome to the stage the next group – 'HOT SKIES'!" the announcer bellowed, and I jumped up from the couch. I was curious: what was this wild mix? I was examining the club in search of only one girl. Yet, my friend's tension became far too obvious, so I shifted my gaze to the stage.

Music erupted from the club's sound system and Jessica's group blew the hall up from the very beginning of their dance. The girls really were good, but I focused my attention on only one. The familiar silhouette, movements, hair color - all this reminded me of the recent past, and when I finally clearly distinguished her face - the world stopped.

I couldn't understand what was going on with me, and why this girl affected me so much. The desire to own her - body and soul - clouded my mind completely.

"This is your end, my bird. This time I will put you in a cage," I thought, and went in the stage's direction.

The dance caused a sensation. The audience cheered, and some hazy feeling that everybody had their eyes on what was actually mine tore me apart. I tried to shut out the feelings of jealousy - you can only be jealous when you love someone, and with Alana, it is not love - she is my obsession. Yeah... It's just the alcohol talking...

Pushing aside the crowd, I moved towards the stage. I approached her, grabbed her elbow, and dragged her aside. She yelped in surprise, and when she saw who was in front of her, her eyes filled with terror.

"Hi... Did you miss me?"

Alana

The stage lights blinded me, bringing me back to reality. While I was dancing, I detached my mind from everyone, hiding in my own little world, but a tornado of cheers yanked me back to reality and I panicked a little. I wanted it all to be over and to go home, but before they announced the results, there was a break in the music. Suddenly, someone grabbed my elbow and dragged me away. The fear sent chills down my spine, and I shivered. Not this! I struggled out and screamed, but the thunderous club music returned and drowned out my voice. Then the stranger pushed me out into an empty room and turned to me. A furious expression confronted me.

"Hi. Did you miss me?" Mike asked, eagerly eyeing my risque outfit.

Honestly, I really wanted to change as soon as I could, or at least to cover myself with something.

"Mike? What are you doing here?" I asked, the shock of seeing him there making me hesitant.

"Came to look at you," he grinned, "Do you mind?"