Chapter 16

Christmas ball, a year ago

After parking the car, Mark dialed Alana's number and let her know he had already arrived. He still did not dare to cross the threshold of her house with her parents there, because their first meeting was not very successful. Accidentally running into them, Mark's entire bearing showed he considered himself superior. At first he didn't care, because he did not plan to be serious with this girl, but over time, everything changed. More often now, Wood thought about how to establish a relationship with them, but for now, he put all those ideas on the backburner.

And now he didn't want to think about anything besides tonight and his plans with his girlfriend. He prepared his room in anticipation, dreaming that her first night with him would be unforgettable. But as soon as the silhouette of his beloved appeared in the doorway, his good mood dissipated like smoke.

Getting out of the car to meet Alana, he wanted to make sure what he saw was only a distortion through the windshield, but everything turned out to be true. While appreciating his girl's appearance, as she was far from a simple gray mouse, Mark involuntarily clenched his fists, fighting the jealousy growing inside.

Alana looked great: her large blonde locks shone golden despite the cold lighting of the street lamp. Her dark-toned evening makeup perfectly matched her green eyes, and burgundy lipstick made her lips even more appetizing, constantly attracting his eyes. Mark stared at his girlfriend, holding his breath. He was constantly surprised he was loved by an angel, and at the same time upset that others also saw her beauty.

Barely restraining his growing irritation, Wood nodded to Alana's parents, who were anxiously watching their daughter, and hurried to seat her in the car. Immediately getting into the driver's seat, Mark did not hesitate: he turned on the ignition, changed gear and abruptly took off towards the school.

Despite his face being a mask of indifference as he tried hiding his true emotions, his beloved's bare knees infuriated him more and more every second. Even the briefest glance at them sent his blood boiling. His movements were sharp and nervous, and he gripped the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white. When the young man slowed down at the traffic light, silently looking at the road, Alana turned to him.

"What's wrong with you?"

But Wood didn't say anything to her, scanning the area around them and thinking about the next turn up ahead. In the morning, the guys decided to remind him about the bet, ruining his whole mood. Mark wanted to spend time with Alana on his own, and not because of some conditions imposed by others. And he did not envision parting with her, already making plans for their life together in Boston or Cambridge. However, they had to make an appearance at the school ball, because this year, for some reason, the school decided to choose a Christmas ball king and queen from the graduating class. Wood knew Wilmore would get elected, because he immediately declared his unwillingness to take part in this circus. And Mark didn't want to come, but Alana convinced him he needed to support his friend.

Was Wilmore his friend? Now Wood doubted it...

Mentally torn in two, Mark got startled by a slight push on his shoulder and Alana's excited female voice. They missed the traffic light signal, and now they were standing at a red light again.

After taking another look at the exposed, nylon-clad beautiful legs, Wood could no longer hold back: he grabbed the hem of her beige coat and pulled it up sharply, eyeing the length of her tight black skirt, which rose to mid-thigh. Exhaling sharply through his teeth, Mark flicked Alana's coat back over her exposed thigh.

This blatant behavior offended Alana, and she immediately objected.

"What happened? Why are you twitching like that?"