Chapter 17:In between the lines

Adrienne's POV:

The bag pulled from my head. I was currently sitting in a really comfortable lounging chair, in a well lit room, it looked expensive, like those rooms for the Greek gods. With the Corinthian columns with the grape vines growing on it. Flowered porcelain vases with gold lining. The whole room was spotless.

Funny thing is that I'm not tied up or anything ...which is quite confusing because what kind of kidnapper leaves the person untied. I know what you're thinking, I can escape and go back home but I really want answers. Firstly, why I was I taken?...is it maybe for a future negotiation that is to take place. Secondly, why am I not being treated like shit. Like seriously if I kidnapped someone they'd be half dying by now. And thirdly, why me? I mean as far as I know I'm not that treasured at the moment. I'm not that much of a liability...

*Door knob turns open***

My body tenses up as my anxiety grows. Suddenly a tall, older man walks in from a door on the right side of the room. He looked quite old like maybe around Mr Gentile's age and then it clicked...I know where I am and I know the name of the man infront of me.

"Evening Mr Castello" I greet respectfully.

"Hello Adrienne" he greets with a smirk.

Now I really don't understand why I was taken because the Dragons are allies with the Castello's...unless they want to overthrow the Mafia and regain power.

"Do you know why you're here Adrienne?" He asked not facing me but standing at a table against the wall, pouring a glass of bourbon.

"No" I say trying to push back my yawn.

"I've been looking for you, well... not looking but I've been waiting to bring you home." He says sipping on his glass, turning to smile at me.

"I'm sorry sir, but I'm not understanding" I say slightly uneasy.

"Let's take an evening stroll, I'll explain as I show you around a little" he said extending his arm to the door gesturing to me to walk.

I stand from the chair and walk slowly towards the door.

We walked out to a beautiful garden with roses and lilies and many different colours all around. Lights lit the dark pathway as the sky darkened.

"Many years ago I had a daughter, my wife fell ill shortly after childbirth and a year later she passed."

"Oh, I'm sorry for your loss" I say sympathetically.

"Thank you" he said smiling.

"Anyway, my daughter's life was being threatened. I was in conflict with many mafias at the time and my daughter was so dear to me, so when she was 3 years of age...I sent her to stay with allies of mine, a good enough mafia that would take care of her" Every word he said made me feel such strong emotion towards his story. I just walked quietly listening to what he had to say.

"Adrienne you're my bloodline, you are my child. And I am so sorry that the Rizzo's didn't take care of you the way they were supposed to, I'm sorry that I didn't take care of you the way I was supposed to." He said wanting to hold me but hesitating because of my unknown reaction.

"I-...uh-..." I was stunned. I really am speechless. So, the people I thought were my family aren't my family. The person I thought was my brother isn't my brother. My mafia isn't my mafia. My name isn't my name, and neither is my title.