Chapter 36: Upside down

Adrienne's POV:

I slid the envelope out of the bag and held it in my hands. I contemplated opening it. It could just be money. But if it was it would have been thicker. I stood in the bathroom, staring down at the envelope, really praying that Gabe doesn't walk in here.

No, I'm going to leave it. I can't look at it. It's an invasion of privacy. I slid the envelope back into the bag and zipped it up. I was about to walk out and then I heard a slight noise. I moved away from the door. And then I heard glass breaking. I don't have my phone on me and I don't have anything that could be a potential weapon.

"Gabe? Is everything okay?" I yelled as if I didn't know what was happening.
He took a while until he answered.

"Yes, everything is fine" he replied.

I tried to open the door but it was locked. I shook the door vigorously trying to loosen the lock. I kicked the door a few times and the latch broke and swung the door open. I got the fright of my life when I felt hands wrap around me. I turned to see someone I wasn't expecting. Mickey walked quickly as he pulled me roughly to move faster. Out of this motel. But when I stepped out of the bathroom, I saw something I never wanted to see.

Chase and Gabe were fighting. They we're smashing each other's faces, breaking bones and some of the things around them too. I watched every sudden movement in heartache as they were literally killing each other slowly. Every breath of air that was hit out of their bodies, I felt. I ran towards them only to be snatched back by Mickey.

"GABE STOP IT!" I screamed. Gabe threw Chase on the floor and attempted climbing over him.

"PLEASE BOTH OF YOU!" I tried again. Chase rose from the floor, grabbed Gabe's head and smashed it into the bedside table.

"STOP IT! STOP! JUST FUCKING STOP!" I stood looking at them both with tear filled eyes. I closed my eyes trying to unsee it all but I couldn't. I'm so exhausted right now. I just want to sleep.

They both stopped what they were doing and just froze. Chase marched over to me boiling from all the anger. He looked into my eyes with anger for a few seconds, he is puzzled but also has never been this passionate and then his eyes softened along with his facial expression. Like a marshmallow to the fire. We both leaned closer to each other. Just to possibly rest or have a break from all this constant fighting and disruption.

I felt a hand pull me roughly, and soon an arm wrapped across my chest. Gabe stood there holding a knife to my throat. A position I never thought I'd be in. With someone I thought I loved. He tightened his grip and slowly started stepping back towards the door. The blade was right on my airway and I could feel it piercing my skin. It was cold and sharp. I struggled against him, as I tried to breath.

"Take a step closer and I'll cut her open" Gabe said opening the door slowly.

Chase stood still, angry but he waited. He watched us slowly disappear behind the door, his fists clenched tighter and his jaw concrete. He was waiting for it. Waiting to kill. But he didn't. Gabe locked the room door to delay whatever exit Chase and Mickey were planning. He gripped tightly onto my arm and threw me into the passenger seat of his car.

When he finally let go of me, my airway opened up. I brushed my fingertips gently over my neck to feel the sting from the cut. I pulled my hand away to look at it and there was blood. I looked at Gabe, hiding my disbelief of his actions behind my fear of what he'd do next. I feel like it's my father all over again, coming back in another form. Gabe got into the car and held the knife in his left hand and used the right to drive away from my freedom.

"Hey, it's okay. We're gonna go up to a beautiful lake house. We just have to sleep a few days in a couple motels and then we can be happy" he said following my eyes to the knife he was still holding.

"Mhm" I replied not able to find words for the current situation.

"What? You have something to say?!" He asked as he started to raise his voice. My anxiety and fear rose with it.

"No, I'm okay" I replied knowing that I was lying.

"Speak, if you don't want to speak I'll make you speak" he said pushing the knife into my thigh. I screamed as I watched the blood flow out from the wound and soak into my clothes.Tears flowed down my cheeks from the excruciating pain. I pulled myself together enough to try and pull the knife out.

"What are you doing?" He asked angrily, watching me tugg on the knife.

"Please, I have to take it out" I ask as I try to push his hand away from the knife.

"Stop it, before I plunge it into the other leg." He warned me, and let go of the wheel. I pushed away from him and in that same moment the car swerved into oncoming traffic and lights flashed. He tried to regain control of the car but by that time we rolled off-road into a forrest of trees and we crashed. When I opened my eyes again, my ears were ringing and the driver's door was open. I pushed against my door and it only opened a jar. I squeezed through the gap and fell on my side, into the leaves and damp twigs and sand.

I tried to stand up but there was an unbearable pain from my leg. I sat in the leaves and squeezed the wound together as I braced myself to pull it out. I gripped the knife firmly and squeezed my thigh as I began to pull. I groaned from the pain as the tears started to form again in my eyes.

The tip of the knife was now visible and I just pulled the last bit out. It hurt like a motherfucker but it's out. I looked at the complete stainless steel knife now dripping with my blood. I watched as the knife fell from my hands into the dirt. Why the fuck is this happening. Gabe is fucking psychotic. I mean I don't understand it. I ripped off fabric from the bottom of the shirt and wrapped it around my thigh, tight enough for me to walk.

I got up from the ground and tried to put pressure on my leg. It hurt but it was much more bearable. I walked around the car to see if Gabe was near and if I could use anything. I grabbed the wrench from the trunk and walked on, away from the car. As I walk I hear the branches breaking, so I stop to look around me. I know he's watching me but I don't see anything but trees.

I tried to walk further but I heard it again. I looked around again but this time held the wrench a little tighter. He came out of nowhere and I swung the wrench left and right. I felt it hit something hard and I was hoping it was his head but then I felt hands grab my only good leg and I tipped over and hit my head. When I woke up, everything was upside down and I was hanging.

~YIKES!!!
Hope you're all good. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I know I had a blast writing it. Vote, follow and comment!

Lots of love ❤️
-cassidy136d~