23. burden

The Day Before Autumn Moved In

⍟⍟⍟⍟⍟

"Sir are you sure?" Santiago— my head bodyguard ask again. His confusion as clear as daylight.

He stands ahead of my desk, looking professional and formal. We are both in my office.

"Yes. I don't want any guard around the house or in the compound." I drum the pen that's in-between my fingers on the desk.

"I want Autumn to feel comfortable and at ease moving in." I know how she is with her bodyguards and how she hates being watched over like a child.

"But we need to be on guard for your family's protection." I chuckle without humor, looking directly into his eyes.

"There is no one that can protect my family more than me Santiago." He could hear the change in my tone and my look caused him to gulp down whatever he's swallowing.

Santiago has been working for me for over five years and I still don't trust him enough to protect my family. It's not that he can't, cause I know he's a loyal and trained bodyguard but when it comes to my family, I really can't trust anyone.

"But it's my job sir." He persist again.

"Don't question my commands again Santiago." I instructed with a firm tone and he finally nods.

"Yes sir."

I know that it's a priority to protect Autumn and Axel, but I just really want Autumn to not worry about strangers being around her everytime, watching over her every move.

I know how suffocating it can be having people breathe on your neck at every corner you turn. It took me a while to get use to my life growing up too.

I want her to feel comfortable first. I want to gain her trust before bringing back the guards.

"The stalker situation, what's the update?" I open a cupboard to take out documents.

"I'm sorry sir, but we still don't have the person's identification." Santiago reports. And yet again, he fails me.

"We don't know who they are but we suspect that they are highly skilled and very good at cleaning their tracks."

"I don't pay you to tell me about their abilities." I say without looking at him.

I put Santiago and my men on the job to find whoever broke into Autumn's apartment, but I've been receiving poor responses since it happened.

Maybe I should let one of my business partners— Roman Vladimir handle this for me. He's good with tech, tracking people and all of that stuff.

"I don't care how you do it, I just want them behind fucking bars for thinking to do that to her." My harsh tone causes him to swallow again.

"What about the management of that penthouse? Have you handled that situation?" He nods immediately.