35. a monster and his arm candy

✰✰✰✰✰

✰✰✰✰✰

As we drive through the busy city of Venice, I entertain my eyes with the full moon out tonight, beautified by the stars littering the dark sky.

Instead of the air conditioner in the car, I wish for nothing more than to feel the cool breeze I know is present outside in the air tonight, to help tune down the chaos of thoughts swirling in my head. Sadly, I can't because of the rolled up windows.

I've spent the entire ride realizing that I don't even know what this Ball is being thrown for or who is/are the hosts.

I have no idea what my purpose here serves tonight, other than the fact that it's an opportunity to show off my forced relationship with Reece.

I know it's an occasion for people of great affluence and the top echelons in not just the business world, but also in other spheres of life.

Of course, I would've asked Reece who we will be expected to see and meet tonight. Get a little information about the hosts and the whole Ball itself.

But as shown to the obvious, I'm not in speaking terms with him.

I keep thinking the monster of a man is primarily only tagging me along to show off like some kind of trophy wife.

Reece convinced me I'm not his arm candy or anything of such. But I find it hard to believe this is anything but that.

Reece is a monster and I'm his arm candy.

Our car draws to a slow stop as we arrive at the venue of the Ball. Bright lights illuminates the surroundings of the building.

I take in the ancient designed Roman architectural building from where I'm seated in the car, seeing pairs of people walk into the large building in formal wears. Formal wears that will be discarded and forgotten after this night passes.

The exterior of the compound screams wealth, causing me to sigh. Events and functions like this is something I've gotten use to, given the fact that my life revolves around it.

It's gotten boring and monotonous being entangled in a world where fake smiles exist for the sake of business interests, amongst people who would easily annihilate each other's reputation or better yet lives without a second thought.

Where a glass of a rare, expensive wine is held up by different kinds of people to show off their wealth in fancy attires and sign done deals.

I exist in a kind of world where cruelty is normalized in the form of ink and paper to get one's desires. And that cruelty is served on a sliver platter like a mouthwatering banquet, covered in glitz and glamorous opulence.