18. Alternative Beginning #3

Chapter dedication to some lovely people!

Whitenwild
Ellama98
dilwidit
raisa_afiz

And to all the people who voted. Ilysm! ❤

Now the chapter.

----------------------

I sat up as I heard the familiar footsteps approaching. I had no idea why, but my heart beat increased at his sudden arrival.

How long had I been asleep?

I looked out of the window at the side to notice that it was dark outside but I could still see patches of red streaks in the sky. It must be past sunset.

I turned as I heard the sudden opening of door. I saw a dark figure standing at the doorway with a hard look on his face. He look like a dark shadow resembling death taker, if there existed any, who was here to take my soul, to take me into another world. But I, for some unfathomable reason, wasn't afraid at all. I found his sea blue eyes digging into the depths of my soul, running an involuntary shiver down my spine.

I heard his footsteps again, his shoes making a resounding effect with the wooden floor. His eyes didn't leave me once as he strided towards me with the gaze of a predator. I stayed glued to my position as I saw him. He stopped right before the bed and eyed me and then the bed. I instantly understood what he meant but I did not get up. Who was he to say what should I do?

Well, for one he was the owner of this house and two, this was his bed.

That was insignificant! I wasn't going to get up just because he indicated it. I looked to see that his eyebrow twitched once. Was this a way to get to him? Then I'm definitely doing this. This was so much fun! I smiled at him.

'Mr Ambrose!' I chirped purposely. 'It's so good to see you back.' He apparently, didn't share my feelings as he glared me with enough intensity to freeze me into a frozen statue.

Silence.

Mr Ambrose could remain silent like no other. I wonder if he even cried when he was born or just glared the doctor to death. I was amused at the thought.

Then suddenly his voice resonated in the almost empty room.

'Talk.' He said in a perfectly cool voice. One word. One single word. And I was sure it would have been enough to send any other person running for the hills. But I was me after all, impervious to cold talks with all the rare visits to my uncle.

'May I enquire about what, Mr Ambrose?' I asked innocently. 'Do you want to talk about the weather? It certainly looks chilly out there.' I said as I looked at him with big eyes.

This time I saw his little finger twitch, twice!

Goodness me! I was doing such a great job annoying him!

'Why don't I throw you out so you can experience the weather better?' He said in a cool voice.

I gulped at his words. Well, he certainly didn't look like a one to joke. So I sat straight.

'What do you want to know?' I asked, acting serious.

'What do you know?' He fixed me with a cold glare.

'That you are going to buy the George Stephenson model next week.' I said and I got up as tried to get out of the room. I knew this would make him angry. And I knew he wanted to know it as soon as possible. I internally laughed as I imagined his discontent though he did very little to show it.