32. Everything Has Changed

'Oh my dear aunt, I can't wait to go to the ball today. You should know that how very well I've succeeded in impressing Mr. Elton last time.' Maria exclaimed.

'Mr. Elton, that handsome young man with his fortune twice as good as us?'

Aunt Brank's jaw dropped.

'Yes, he danced with me three times in a row and even accompanied me in the supper.'

'Are you sure you're talking about same Mr. Elton who works in Leadeanhall Street in the employment of Mr. Rikkard Ambrose?' She didn't wait for Maria's reply. 'Mr. Ambrose, the most richest and powerful man in the whole Britain and Ireland!'

I rolled my eyes. Of course, it wasn't supposed to be a compliment. Working under Mr. Ambrose shouldn't be a praise. In fact it should be a pity for those who didn't properly know the working of that cold bastard's mind. And, I, had mastered to decipher the emotions - correction, thoughts - running in his stone hard mind. That explained the very reason of simple plain ring on my ring finger.

Well yes, he was my fiance now.

Turned out that after so many adventures and troubles, after facing his arrogant father, getting over his past and showing his greatest nemesis his place, also known as grave, he declared that I was only his and he would make that 'obvious thing' official so the whole world would think twice before touching or even talking to me. I, of course, wanted to say no as he slipped the ring in my hand but for some reason I did its vice versa. Maybe because he was the only man I loved with all my heart and whose presence I could tolerate. Maybe I had accepted the fact that though he was most inadequate man on earth, he was my man. And, there couldn't be no happier thing than to spend rest of my life with him.

'Oh my goodness! What good have I done to receive immense pleasure as such! I'm so happy for you, Maria. Think about the consequences if he marries you. No, he would definitely marry you. Oh heavens! One of my nieces would be married to a gentleman. Oh Maria, hurry up and we don't want you to be late at the ball. And Lilly, don't just look at me, move your feet and get ready!'

As excited as I was I sauntered into my room with a huge smile. Why wouldn't I be excited? After all, we had a huge announcement to make.

*

'Miss Linton.'

Captain Carter greeted me with a genteel nod and his signature smile.

'Good to see you too, Captain Carter. How are you doing? Well, it's still a mystery to me how did you manage to survive in those deadly Uruguayan Civil Wars.'

'How could I not, I'd promise my lady here. So, did you change your mind?'

I laughed heartily.

'So you're not giving up. This was the same question you had asked not a week ago.'

'Still a no?'

I nodded hesitantly as I unconsciously twiddled with the finger on my ring finger.

'Does your man treats you the same way as he did before? If he doesn't I swear-'

'-him and I are actually engaged .'

I blurted out and that's when his gaze travelled towards the ring. His smile decreased infinitesimally. Nevertheless, he concealed it.

'Congratulations, Miss Linton. As a friend I'm happy for you. We're still friends, right?'

I gave his upper arm a playful shove.

'Of course. Do you think I have another option?'

He laughed with his eyes crinkling an inch.

'Well, do I get the honour to know your - Good Evening, Mr. Ambrose.'