43. 21st Century #5

As soon as the door closed, he faced towards me and glared at me with all his might. And, for some reason his technique for making me nervous was working.

Silence.

Cold Silence.

Absolute cold silence.

That was all it was in the air around us. He said nothing. Not even a syllable. But his eyes were transfixed on me, eyeing my every move and somehow making me analyse my whole deeds to know what crime had I committed. I know, I had used lift despite of his warning but he said that he would deduct the cost from my salary. That was fine! But why the hell was he glaring at me, freezing the existence out of me.

Gathering all of my courage, I met his glare with my own. I tried to cheer the doleful environment and gale the silence.

"Hey, Mr. Ambrose. Long time no see."

Silence.

"My apologies for using lift. You are free to deduct the cost from my wages. See, the matter is solved." He glared at him with more intensity than before. "Why are you so hot? Oh no, that came out wrong! Why are you so furious?"

That was when the door opened and Mr. Ambrose ignored me completely and strided towards his office, but not before twitching his index finger twice indicating me to follow him.

I anticipated myself for the worst as I opened the double doors.

No sooner had I opened the door, than a strong figure towered my small figure. His taut muscles in his upper arms were prominent as he folded his arms and eyed me coolly. His eyes were extremely cold resembling ice berg. A storm was already brewing behind them and intended to kill me at that instant. The fact that he had a mountain face didn't hurt as I was paralysed in my place, clinging to the only walls behind me as a refuge.

"Miss Linton." His voice sounded deadly against my very own ears.

A shiver ran down my spine as I gulped nervously, drowning in the pools of his cold eyes.

I managed to rally all of my strength and spoke at once.

"Yes, Mr. Ambrose?"

The cold voice travelled from my ears to my nerves and hence froze the life out of me.

"Miss Linton, didn't I warn you that I won't tolerate any of your blunders?"

"Oh, did you?"

His little finger twitched thrice in a row.

"Miss Linton! Cease talking all the nonsense and justify your errors before I take harsh decisions."

"I told you, Sir, that you can deduct from my salary the cost of electricity wasted or whatever! Then why are you still furious like I stole all of your money?!"

His jaw clenched when I mentioned stealing of his money. Good god, that was a delicate matter for him.

"Miss Linton, reconsider my warning and cease talking this instance unless you want to justify your deeds!"

"Sir, would you first enlighten me what is my mistake?"

He looked into the depths of my eyes, trying to find out whether I was lying. But he found nothing but innocence beneath it. And, he decided to attack me with his cold voice.

"Who commanded you to take the leave during the meeting!"

"Of course, you sir."

"I don't remember mentioning you to withdraw the meeting."

"My apologies for your bad memory, Sir."

"Miss Linton!"

"I'm sorry, if you're offended. But you yourself gave order to all of your employees to vacate the room."

"You're my secretary, Miss Linton. And, I precisely asserted that you'll note down whatever I say. How do you think I'll take entrepreneur's suggestions into consideration without my secretary?"

"Your mistake. You should have specifically mentioned that before."

His gaze were like daggers piercing mine. I swear I was already digging my grave with anticipation.

But then he said something...unexpected.

"And Miss Linton, I don't pay you to flirt with young men!"

"Oh come on, Mr. Ambrose, I'm not flirting with you!"

I literally yelled at his face. Really, did he think I was flirting with him? I know most of the girls would die to be in the same position as me. But I wasn't the fan of entrapping myself in tiger's den.

"Not with me, but with that imbecile young entrepreneur."

Finally, I processed what he was talking about! He was speaking of the gentleman who winked at me. Such a trivial matter to rile about!

"You think so! Don't you think you're the one who is invading my personal space?"

"Indeed? But you didn't seem to mind that young man's company?"

"At least, he had some decency to be polite."

It seemed like I had managed to make him furious at highest level. I wouldn't be shock if the ice would develop the crack with extreme coldness.

"Miss Linton. You're my employee. You wouldn't defy my orders nor entertain any other gentleman other than me."

"So, you admit that he was a polite gentleman."

"One more word and I'll fire you!"

Silence.

I smartly shut my mouth this time. No matter how much I argued with him, I doubt he would think twice before firing me. And I really really needed this job.

'This is your last chance.' He said stepping so close to me that I could see cold fire burning into his eyes, so close that our lips were almost touching. 'Either do what I say - or get another job.'

I nodded - and that was very awkward and difficult because our proximity. I could feel heat rushing to my cheeks and I couldn't be more grateful for my tan skin. He might have noticed this; as, glancing at my form for last time, he turned his back, peeking outside the window, trying to freeze the city of London.

I, at last, took a breath in relief which I was holding back. Damn, he was too hot for his own good!

I still clinged to wall like a caterpillar as I didn't know what to do without the orders of my employers. To kill my time, I just casually played with the hem of my dress, counted the number till ten and took a deep breath. Then suddenly, I heard an ice cold voice from his place.

'You're dismissed for today.'

_______________________________________________

Hey Guys,

How are y'all?

Thank you for all your votes, comments and love for the last chapter. Actually, I wasn't thinking to write Ambrose's POV but Aisha di persuaded me to give it a try. AND, I'M SO HAPPY READING ALL THE LOVELY COMMENTS!! THANKS A LOT !! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!

Anyways, I hope you like this chapter.

And please,

VOTE & COMMENT

Love,

Mariya :-)