Chapter 7-

He stands himself up from the dirt next to the old motorbike, it's been nearly two hours since he started working on it and he thinks he might have finally got it. With one last turn of the chain he screws on the last bolt before taking a seat on the dusty dirt bike. As much as the bike looks old and dirty it is a pretty good bike. They stopped making these Yamaha XT500's in the 80's which is why he is shocked it's in such good condition.

"C'mon baby." Derek says shaking his head as he turns the choke lever on and turns the key but nothing happens. The electric start obviously doesn't work, the kick start better, Derek thinks to himself as he pulls out the kick arm and kicks it down, the bike begins to gurgle but doesn't start.

"C'mon." Derek mutters and he slams his foot down on the kick starter again and again and again until finally the bike roars to life. He turns the throttle slightly, revving the engine to make sure it will stay running. After a few minutes of idling he walks the bike out the shed before pulling the clutch in as he taps the bike into gear and takes off. He rides around the shed area going up and down gears like it was second nature. The wind hitting his face as he speeds up, deciding to take it for a long test ride to the woods and maybe to the lake if he can find a track, not wanting to blow any tyres.

He reaches the end of the furthest paddock spotting what seems to be a horse track that goes through the woods. He follows the track into the trees driving slightly slower because he isn't familiar with the track. The woods are absolutely stunning, the trees reaching for the sky and the flowers mixed with the grass on the ground. No wonder Stiles said he loves this place. Before long he reaches the edge of the lake, but it isn't much of a lake as it's empty but he could only imagine how beautiful this place would be with a full lake in the middle of it.

He kicks the bike stand down and climbs off the seat as he turns the engine off. He looks around the place spotting a lonely bench on the edge of the lake clearly used by people to sit and look at the water. He walks over to the bench taking a seat on the wooden frame as he looks across at the dry lake bed in front of him. If only Laura could see this. She would love it, she would love it on the Stilinski farm. Getting her hands dirty and fixing things. She would no doubt be showing up the farm hands. He could only imagine what it would be like if Stiles and Laura ever met. They would like each other and probably gang up together to pick on him knowing his luck. If only he could have found this farm sooner, if only he could have saved his sister but instead he didn't even see the attackers coming before it was too late.

They were in a bar. Just finished a really good paying farm job and the only thing Laura wanted to do was have a drink with her little brother, something neither of them had done after the fire, they could never afford it. So they went to the nearest bar. He didn't even notice the man and woman walk into the bar. It was crowded, music loud and he was busy listening to Laura as she explain where they were going to go next. He was too oblivious, too unfocused and for the first time in years he and Laura were somewhat relaxed as they sat at the bar with a few drinks. He didn't notice the woman take a seat next to him or the man take a seat next to Laura as the two of them were too busy talking to each other. That was until the woman slid her hand over his arm and up his shoulder, leaning her head on his shoulder and kissing him on the cheek. Before he could even react he felt a sharp blade against his throat and his eyes locked with Laura's for a split second and by the terrified yet angry look in her eyes he knew exactly who the woman behind him was.

"Hey handsome, miss me?" Kate's voice questions next to his ear and his whole body tenses in panic.

"If you hurt my brother, I'll kill you!" Laura shouts pulling her pocket knife out her boot about to fight Kate but before she could even take a step the man behind her pulls out a gun and fires point blank at her skull.