Chapter 46

* 10 minutes earlier *

"Check the house now!" The Sheriff orders as he climbs out his police cruiser followed by Scott, Parrish, Allison and Lydia while the others all climb out Chris' Toyota.

"I'll check the cottage." Boyd shouts as they all begin running towards the houses when suddenly the sound of a gunshot echoes through the night sky and they all freeze.

"Holy shit." Allison mutters breaking the silence putting her hands over her mouth in shock.

"It came from the forest. It wouldn't have echoed like that otherwise." Parrish states and Chris nods in agreement.

"Lets go! Melissa call the ambulance, someone needs to stay here to direct the ambulance where to go." The Sheriff says looking around at the others.

"I can stay." Lydia suggested.

"I will stay with her, I don't want anyone by themselves when Kate is out here." Melissa adds and the Sheriff mouths 'thank you' as everyone else piles back into the cars as they take off in the direction of the forest.

Chris puts his foot on the clutch as he shifts up a gear slamming down the accelerator to keep up to the Sheriffs Cruiser as they drive through paddocks and gates in a rush.

"Argent. You on channel?" The Sheriff's voice calls through the utes handheld radio.

"Yeah." Chris replies holding the radio in one hand as he watches the road.

"If your sister is armed and threatening to use it on anyone, Parrish and I won't hesitate to use lethal force." The Sheriff replies and Chris nods knowing what the man is trying to get at.

"Don't worry Stilinski. If she tries to kill any of us I will kill her myself." Chris responds into the radio as he puts the handheld piece down glancing across at Allison in the passenger seat who gives him a reassuring nod.

They all drive in silence for a few minutes. None of them knowing what to say, too scared to even think about the fact that there was a gunshot from the forest.

After a few minutes they finally reach the forest as two sets of headlights shine straight at them. The Sheriff hits the breaks bringing the Cruiser to a stop and Chris follows his lead parking next to him as the headlights switch off on the two unknown vehicles.

"What the hell are they doing?" Isaac questions leaning forward in the backseat to try see where the two cars went.

"I don't have a good feeling about this." Allison mutters and her dad nods in agreement as they get out the car. They take a step towards the Sheriff to see what he has to say when gunshots fill the still country air around them. Bullets fly past the vehicles as windows smash, spraying glass all over them.

"Get down!" The Sheriff shouts covering Erica as everyone ducks down behind the police cruiser away from the line of fire. "Parrish, can you reach the rifle in the passenger seat?" John asks and Parrish nods as he crawls slowly around the other side of the car. It's a full moon but with all the tree cover it was next to impossible for the guys with guns to see him crawling to the door.

"Jordan, be careful." Scott whispers as he leans against the back wheel watching as Parrish disappears around the side of the Cruiser. After a couple seconds the familiar sound of the car door opening fills the air as the interior light in the car turns on. He hears Parrish swear under his breath at the light when bullets begin firing, cracking through the air like thunder.

"Leave the gun. Get back behind cover!" The Sheriff orders as he hears the door slam shut before Parrish hurriedly crawls back to the other side of the car.