9 5

yuli

she's in the bathroom, scrubbing her turtleneck in the sink, eyes watering for no apparent reason. there's only five minutes until 2019, and this stain isn't coming out.

"let me have it," a voice says quietly, yet she can somehow hear atília's voice over charlie puth's how long. he takes her shirt from her, not even glancing at her lack of anything to cover the nude bra she's wearing. he has some dishwashing detergent that he must have grabbed... so that means he must have seen vivian with the drink... and he's applying a white wash cloth with warm water to remove the stain.

yuli sits on the toilet seat, watching him then put white vinegar on the stain, until there's barely any trace of alcohol there to begin with.

"thank you," she smiles, shoving the white top back on unattractively.

he doesn't return it.

"still mad?"

"yes," he replies coolly, leaning against the countertop. "you do not get to just tell me that you are my friend and then ditch me and treat me badly, then expect to come back and act like you care."

"i do—"

he's royally pissed off. "no. you do not. you stopped hanging out with me to be with your girlfriend, and i hate that. i hate that you become invested into one person and then everyone else immediately disappears until you need them again. it does not work that way, yuli. i will not be your second choice. there is room in your heart for something more than a lover."

"i'm sorry," she whispers, guilt tugging at her. "i never meant to make you feel that way. is there any way i can make it up to you?"

"i do not know."

"please, atília? you were the first friend i had here." she's tempted to get on her knees and kiss his feet (she will if she has to).

"i will think about it," he responds, nodding his head at her and slipping out of the bathroom.

happy new year.