24 6 0

everett

it's another week before derek isn't busy with the trial and school. he's anxious about the result, and he doesn't want to hear it from the paper, so he avoids social media.

he's sitting on his couch, feet up as he watches his fourth episode of bate's motel and sips his chocolate milk. he's a child at heart, and this would be way more fun if fiona was here with him, but she's spending the night at christian's again.

he doesn't remember falling asleep, but he wakes up five hours later at two a.m. to netflix asking him if he's still watching, and a ear-piercing banging on his door. he groggily gets up, pins and needles shooting through his legs as he hurries to open it. "wng—"

derek is in his doorway, wrinkled black t-shirt and jeans on with ruffled hair. his face is blotchy, and he wipes his nose against his wrist. "sorry i haven't been around. had to finish some work for my other classes since i've fallen behind."

"don't apologize," everett reaches out to pull him inside and close the door behind the younger man. "what happened?"

a new set of tears roll down derek's cheeks immediately, and he shakes his head. "we, uh... we won the case."

everett's heart sinks, and he wraps his arms around the younger man, holding him tightly. they both are silent, other than derek's stifled sobs into his shoulder.

"it's so fucked up," he repeats, over and over again.

"i know," everett rubs his back. he's so pissed off and how the case ended and how people can be that fucked up to let yet another guilty man walk free and how derek felt like he had no choice but to help his professor win.

he lies, tells derek that it's okay, but it isn't. not until justice is brought to the law, for example in these cases, for victims that aren't white; for victims that stand up and face their assailant. he needs a plan.

for now, he holds a person in need.