19 7 3

preston

"i've missed talking to you," he smiles sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. the cappuccino in his hand is lukewarm after sitting here for so long.

"you don't care that i'm bi?"

"why would i?"

"i don't know," vivian fiddles with her fingers, then decidedly chugs half of her iced tea. "it's just weird to talk to my ex about my sexuality. i don't know, i'm not used to being openly vulnerable like this."

"it's okay. is there..." he hesitates, doesn't want to make her uncomfortable. "is there anyone special?"

a blush rises to her cheeks and she chokes on her drink. she has to cough for a few minutes until she can speak again. "i've been seeing a girl for a couple of months. her name is allison. we're..."

"in love?"

"i know we haven't been together long, but," she stares behind him, into oblivion with the classic head tilt and soft sigh, "i really love her."

"good," preston smiles. he reaches across the table and squeezes her hand. "i'm happy for you. you deserve this."

she smiles back, raising an eyebrow. "how about you?"

he shrugs. "just me, and my dog."

"your dog?"

"i used my savings to buy a golden retriever. his name is charlie."

he shows her the pictures, chattering on and on as the two sit in ease with each other. he needed a friend.