31 7 2

everett

"hey," derek greets, hands immediately wrapping around the hot coffee cup, icy from the crisp april morning at six a.m. he's wearing a suit again, and still manages to look amazing despite the fact that he seems to have gotten an hour of sleep. it's barely been two weeks since the peter howards v. eric johnson case, and ms. rivera admired his evidence so much that she put him in charge of the most recent case, one regarding a sexual assault.

"i didn't want to take it," derek says, and everett zones back in. they sit at the stools, knees knocking against each other. "i didn't want to take it, everett, but i don't have a choice. i have to make her proud..."

"i know," everett says, squeezing his hand. "and you will. you can't always defend the right side."

"he raped her," derek whispers, but his voice immediately rises. "he raped her, and i have to prove that he didn't, that it was consensual to make my professor proud. that is so fucked up! and i'm supposed to sit here and— and act like this is okay? now that sexually abused victims are speaking up, we're going to incriminate them and make them look like they're lying, only to protect rich rapists? i won't survive this."

"i'm sorry," the blonde's hands fall to his sides awkwardly. he doesn't know how what words to use that sound alright, and he doesn't know if derek wants him to touch him. the fact that society is still fucked up is upsetting. "maybe you'll lose."

"i hope..." the watch on derek's wrist beeps, and he curses. "i have to go. the trial starts in two hours and i have to help ms. rivera prep."

"i'll see you soon?" they still need to talk about the kiss.

"yeah," he rubs the back of his neck. "we can try to grab dinner one of these nights... i'll..."

derek trails off, seems to forget what they were talking about, and rushes out the door.