29 6 10

preston

he's hopeful. he's at his— his father's— apartment, cutting up ham for homemade pizza to share with aidan, relaxed for the plans of doing nothing tonight. the feeling is immediately interrupted when the doorbell rings.

aidan sighs, and preston presses pause on lauv's breathe. aidan walks to he door, feet padding against the wooden floor. he opens the door without unlocking it, and doesn't say a word for a solid twenty seconds. "uh... preston..."

preston joins his friend at the door... and sees vivian, standing there in a raincoat and matching rain boots. she holds a carton of rocky road ice cream, wearing a nervous expression on her face.

"vivian," he says, breathless. aidan glances between the two, and sinks backward to give them space. "what are you... what are you doing here? it's been nearly five months since we..."

"you said you don't believe in happy endings, but that you believe in me. do you... do you still?"

he can't comprehend what's going on. is this real? how many times has he dreamt about this moment?

"you should go," preston says after a few minutes. "i..."

"please... i can make you happy," she whispers, looking up at him through her thick lashes.

"no, you can't, because i already am. vivian, a part of me will always love you. that part isn't alive right now. right now, i hope you're happy and well, and not chasing after me because you don't want to be alone, because you aren't. you have your friends and your family, and that's what's important. so... i'm sorry."

"so am i."she's doing the lip-bite. "but i—"

"don't."

she reaches out to hug him, one last time. "thank you, preston rhee."

"you're welcome, vivian killeen."

she leaves, and preston blinks to understand what just happened.