33 6 2

everett

"mrs. richards, has the jury reached a verdict?" the judge asks, adjusting his glasses.

"we have, your honor."

"what say you?"

she nervously glances at the others, then back at him. "we the jury, in the case of peter howards versus eric johnson, find the defendant guilty for the injuries brought upon the plaintiff eric johnson, and order the defendant to pay the plaintiff damages in the amount of one million dollars."

the judge makes eye contact with everyone in the room. "the defendant shall pay the plaintiff in damages in the amount of one million dollars, and also pay also the plaintiff's legal costs. ladies and gentleman of the jury, we thank you for acting as jurors in this matter. both society and the law benefit from your contribution. court is adjourned."

eric johnson is shaking derek and ms. rivera's hand, and her hand pats derek's on the back. derek excuses himself and pushes himself out of the doors and outside.

everett follows, watching as derek leans against the railing of the handicapped ramp. he grips it tightly, letting out a few deeps breaths to steady himself, whirring around when he hears footsteps.

"hey," everett greets, his lips tugging upwards. "you did—"

derek strides forward, tugs everett to him by the collar of his white dress shirt, and kisses him, right in front of the flood of people that leave the courthouse.