18

The tear drops us at the top of a wind-swept, rocky cliff. Huge white plumes of smoke are ejecting from unseen vents far below. The raccoon is cowering next to Eve's leg. There's not a speck of vegetation to be seen, just jagged stone peaks dipping to deep gorges. The sky is as grey as the hills. "Where are we?" I yell above the wind. I crouch to keep a gust from blowing me from the small trail into a nearby abyss.

Eve shakes her head. She can't hear me. She points to a small cave a few yards away and we run to it, ducking inside. We huddle against the wall and catch our breath. VarnLiqn joins us a second later, shivering.

"Sorry little guy, I forgot you were with us," says Eve.

"I fine," says VarnLiqn, matter-of-factly.

"I'm not," I complain. "Are we on a goddamn volcano?"

Eve ignores me and rifles in her sling bag. "We better wait for that wind to die down before we continue."

"Queen Suzerain--Suzy--what is she?" I ask.

"Suzy has held many forms. At her most powerful, she was referred to as Amma, the creator of the universe--according to the Dogon people of West Africa, at least."

"That explains why she's so goddamn intimidating," I say.

"You weak," says VarnLiqn.

I sneer at the raccoon and he sneers back. "Aren't cute animal sidekicks supposed to be cute?"

"This ain't Snow White," says Eve. She pulls three granola bars out of her bag and passes them out.

"What's with the little cloak?" I ask, as the raccoon-not-raccoon scurries next to me.

"These creatures suffer because of their obsession with humanity. Part of that obsession is the desire to wear clothing. I sewed cloaks for all the changeling bastards living in the woods near the house, knowing if I didn't, they may try to clothe themselves."

I laugh. "So?"

"Don't laugh. When you see a racoon wearing a toddler's jumper you're left wondering if it stole the outfit from a laundry basket or directly off the poor toddler."

"Yikes," I say, shaking my head.

Eve shrugs. "I really didn't want to see blood stains on a pair of Osh-Kosh overalls."

"Like blue," says VarnLiqn, tugging on his cloak. A smiling raccoon is not a comforting sight.

"You know, this would be a wonderful time to tell me what the fuck we're doing on this mountain," I say, crunching into my bar.

Eve wrinkles her nose. "I think I'd rather have another raccoon here than you. You're the real bastard."

VarnLiqn nods. "Bah stord."

"Jokes aside, my life appears to be on the line here, Eve," I say. VarnLiqn snatches my granola bar with his tiny hands and waddles to the corner of the cave.

Eve slumps a bit. "You're right. Settle in, I'll give you the condensed version."

"Alright." I'm eager to hear what she has to say.