* 37

We delve deeper into the cave system until we reach a branching path. Eve grabs my shoulder. "Hold up, let's try this tunnel first."

"But it heads back uphill. The snores are louder in the other direction."

"Come on."

I follow Eve up to a yawning cavern. We step onto a small ledge and the horn shines just enough to reveal a hulking mass of red fur a few yards below us. "Son of a bitch," I mumble. My entire body tenses up as I stare at the sleeping Antecedent.

Bonnacon's a giant—twice as large as Karkadann. His bulk lifts and recedes as he dozes soundly, ejecting a bass-filled rumble from his snout. The monster is lying on its stomach, surrounded by steaming piles of shit.

"If Karkadann couldn't defeat that thing, how are we supposed to?" I whisper with alarm.

"The Third Antecedent is much weaker now then he was back then," says Eve. "We might have a chance." She peeks at the beast again and groans. "Damn. The soft part of him we need to stab is pressing to the floor of the cave."

My heart feels like it's going to explode. I can't fathom how Eve always stays so calm. "What do we do?"

Eve tosses me the horn. "Ever been to a rodeo?"

"Pardon?"

Eve peers down at the great and horrible bull from our precarious vantage point. "Backtrack to the other tunnel and make your way below—it should lead you straight to Bonnacon. Stay low and hidden. When you see my signal, drive the horn through the bastard's chest and get out of there."

"No way!" I protest, my poise unraveling.

"You have to believe, asshole. Start believing or we're dead!"

"Right, right," I say, taking a deep breath. "But I can't even get to his chest."

"You'll get an opportunity...don't waste it." Eve kisses me roughly. "Now, go!"