21

I spill backwards beside Eve as Jesus ducks into the cave and kneels with a smirk. The long dark hair, kind eyes, white robe and scuffed sandals are unmistakable. "Brr. Windy out there today."

"Jesus! We were just on our way to see you!" says Eve with a wide smile.

I look at Eve. "Really?"

Eve nods. "Tim, meet the Fifth Antecedent, Jesus Christ."

"Hey, Tim. You're our courier, right? I've been expecting you," says Jesus, stretching out an arm. I shake his rough hand. His grip is strong despite the small, round hole through his palm.

"What am I couriering again?" I whisper to Eve, barely able to speak.

"I just told you. Your genetic code carries the phrase to activate the magickal failsafe within the Scroll of the Secret Sea."

"Wild, huh?" says Jesus. "I feel your pain, kid. Hell, that's kind of my job." He laughs boisterously. "Seriously though, I know what it's like to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders."

VarnLiqn wakes up with a start and hisses, crouching on all fours with an arching back and bristling tail. A moment later he seems to recognize Jesus and leaps into his arms, licking his face.

Jesus giggles. "Aw, sweet little bastard, aren't you?"

"I can't believe this," I grumble.