59

"Well, that's disappointing."

We spin around. Poseidon is just a few steps away. Excalibur hums and I lift it to the ready. "We had a deal, demon."

"Relax," says Poseidon, shaking his head as he looks at his slain champion. "I'll fulfill my part of the bargain." He stretches a muscular arm toward Eve.

"No, let me do it," I protest, grabbing Eve's shoulder.

"It's fine." Eve inches closer, taking the pen out of her sling bag.

"How does a mortal know so much about magick?" Poseidon asks Eve.

"I was raised by faeries," Eve replies.

"Interesting," says Poseidon. "I detect no magick inside you."

"I'm fine with that." Eve jabs the pen in Poseidon's arm and draws out his blood. The vial is now full.

Poseidon grabs Eve's neck and lifts her in the air. "Sparing your lives was not part of our arrangement."

"No!" I yell. Before I can raise Excalibur, Poseidon throws a punch against my chest and sends me spinning to the dirt.

"Do you know how sick I am of water? Do you really think I'd let a flood wash away the centuries of work I've sunk into this damnable planet? I thrive here. Soon, I will rule both planes of reality."

As I struggle to regain my oxygen, VarnLiqn springs up Poseidon's body and bites his shoulder. The vampire drops Eve, not in pain, but in sheer surprise. Eve coughs then quickly scrambles over to me.

"No hurting!" yells VarnLiqn, between bites. I see a sharp tooth chip off the vampire's arm and fall to the ground.

"Foul thing," says Poseidon. He grabs VarnLiqn and squeezes tightly. We hear a crack and the racoon goes limp. Poseidon tosses our brave friend a few feet away. He lands in the dust, decidedly dead.

"Varn!" I yell, tears stinging the edge of my eyes. I bolt forward and stab at the old vampire's heart, determined to send the bastard back to hell.

"Useless," says Poseidon, gripping Excalibur in one hand, stopping it short. I watch in disbelief as he crumples the blade with a single squeeze. He slaps my face with his free hand and the world goes black.