* 54

Poseidon laughs heartily. "This is so precious. I couldn't bear to watch my remaining lackeys slay you so I eliminated them myself. Go ahead and use this opportunity to regain some energy. Soon, you'll face my champion in single combat. It's been ages since he's had a good fight." he runs his fingers through his beard. "I'll make you a deal as thanks for the entertainment—defeat my greatest warrior, and I'll give you my blood. I know that's why you're here."

"I'll take it myself!" I growl.

"Don't be foolish. Take the deal," says Poseidon.

"Take it," begs Eve. "It's our only chance."

"Alright," I say, locking eyes with the devil. "If I win, I get your blood."

Poseidon crosses his thick arms. "Very well." With one leap, he's back on top of the wall. A hidden stone door at the edge of the amphitheater begins to grind open.

I consider telling Poseidon we share his goal of stopping the flood before I remember Jesus' warning about the First Antecedent's equally destructive desires. Besides, the vampire's not our only concern—once we reveal our true intentions, Suzy will be sure to show up and make things even more difficult.

"Fight on, Tim," yells Eve, sensing my hesitation. "You can do this!"