40

I rub my scalp in frustration. "Oh, come on."

"UFOs sightings exploded in the 1950s," says Eve, still grinning. "Suddenly, the sky was full of magick again. Enough to bring Amihan out of retirement, at least."

I feel a headache coming on. "Goddamn. Who knew ignorance carried so much power?"

Eve looks offended. "BELIEF, not ignorance! Will you ever learn?"

"Sorry," I reply. "That was harsh." Even the bird looks angry. "No offense."

Without warning, Amihan flaps her massive wings and lifts into the sky, disappearing into the night with a screech.

"Look what you did, jerk!" says Eve, angrily punching my shoulder.

"Fear not," says Karkadann, "Amihan will return when you need her most."

"I think I have this figured out!" says Eve, her eyes darting back and forth. "Wait...no. It's gone."

"Great," I groan.

"I too, must bid you farewell," says Karkadann, sinking to his gnarled knees. "Once I slip from the mortal plane, the souls of my people will be liberated."

Eve tears up. "I'm so sorry."

"Do not mourn my passing. There is nothing I desire more," says the massive rhino. He slumps to the cracked desert floor onto his side, lifting a plume of dust.

We stroke Karkadann's head. "Be free," says Eve. The Rhino's thick armor begins to glow just as its horn did. Slowly, the great beast disintegrates before our eyes. Thousands of small translucent orbs rise into the air, glimmering like opals before they fade away.

"The souls of the lost city of Chirand," says Eve, her voice hushed. We watch in wonder until we're left alone, side by side in the desert.