Chapter 60 - Amanda & Anthony

Amanda

I look up at Madeline, there is no surprise in her eyes. She squeezes my hand and smiles sympathetically at me.

"You know?" I whisper.

She exhales and nods "I'm sorry Amy. I have to look you up. I know you love Tony so much. There is no way you don't want to spend the rest of your life with him. But for you to reject his proposal, there must be something that is not right. So I asked Jack to look you up. I was so sure some bitchy woman was trying to manipulate your mind. I'm sorry I did this without telling you first, but that's because I care for you Amy. I don't want you to give up on your happiness just because of some stupid thing."

I nod, my tears leaking from my eyes. Never once Madeline said that she did this because of Tony. Her main focus is me. And she just wanted to protect me. "Thank you Mads" I whisper.

She shakes her head "I'm sorry Jack ended up finding out about the Huntington disease. It was because he checked on everyone you meet in the last few weeks. That's when he landed his focus on your aunt. And found out about your past"

"How? Did he come to aunt Jana?" I doubt my aunt told some stranger about our family.

Madeline shakes her head "no. Jack's style is rather discreet. Don't ask me how he did that. I'm still thinking he has a magic ball like a witch" she says and I chuckle. Madeline and her imagination.

She grows serious "And... I can't help myself to look up at the disease to. 50:50, right?" She asks me slowly

I nod. "Yeah, but I haven't tested yet, Mads. I'm afraid" I say weakly.

She nods "of course you are afraid. It's normal"

I look up at her. "You're not going to ask me to test?" I ask.

She shrugs "as an outsider of course I want you to test. So you can know for sure what happened to you. But it's your life Amy. And I know you must be scared to death right now. A bigger part of me really wishes you have the courage to test. So if it's negative you can continue your life and accept Tony's proposal. But we don't know the result. And I can't say I'm sure you're negative or positive"

I nod and wipe my tears. I'm sure my face is a mess right now "I have the symptoms, Mads" I say weakly. For the first time her eyes widened and her composure gone.

"What?" She squeaks.

I nod. "Lost balance, tremor, memory loss"

"Memory loss?"

I nod "I forgot Tony's birthday"

"But that is possible if you were so busy, especially when this evil disease is hanging on your head. I mean... it's normal sometimes you forgot about something" she says.

I bite my lip "I know, but add it to another 2? Tremor and lost balance?"

"How did you find out about the lost balance and tremor? Because.. I don't know Amy. I mean sometimes people get clumsy, sometimes tremor comes not only because of Huntington. One time Ethan and Christian worked out in Hall's gym, afterward their hand got tremor for a day. Guess they were trying to work out like professional athletes" Madeline says.

I chuckle a bit at Ethan and Christian tempt to be athletes. "I know Mads. I wouldn't think like this if I didn't have those 3 symptoms at the same time. I fell at Connecticut when I ran out from my aunt's room"

"You were shocked, Amy. Everything could happen. Plus it was slippery that day. Tony told us you acted weird when you came back to the hotel, your whole body drenched" she says matter of fact.