24

once they arrived to the school, mcgonagall hurried all of them to put their uniforms and robes, ushering them to the hall for the opening ceremony.

after having the feast with their new first years, dumbledore started to speak up.

"now we have two changes in staffing this year. we're pleased to welcome back professor grubbly-plank, who'll be taking over care of magical creatures while professor hagrid is on temporary leave. we also wish to welcome our new defense against the dark arts teacher professor dolores umbridge. and i'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. now as usual, our caretaker, mr. filch has asked me-"

professor dolores umbridge made a small noise that interrupted dumbledore's train of thought. everyone turned to her.

"who does she think she is?" lily whispered to ernie, who was next to her, earning a nod.

"mental, she must be."

she walked up with dumbledore and said, "thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. and how lovely to see all of your bright happy faces smiling up at me." lily stayed staring at the woman with a frown, much like the rest of the students.

"i'm sure we're all going to be very good friends," she smiled, but it didn't look sincere.

"seems likely," joked simon jennings and jackson wright.

"the ministry of magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged."

"the hell is she on about," said hannah.

"let us preserve what must be preserved... perfect what can be perfected...and prune practices that ought be prohibited," she giggled before walking off.

"i think i threw up a bit in my mouth," teased talia.

everyone awkwardly clapped.

"thank you, professor umbrigde. that really was most illuminating."

"illuminating? what a load of waffle," ron said.

"what does it mean?" asked harry.

"it means the ministry is interfering with hogwarts."

<>

later that night, in the gryffindor common room, the atmosphere was tense.

everyone stared as harry walked into the room, he definitely noticed.

"dean, seamus. good holiday?"

"alright, better than seamus' anyway," dean said.

"me mum didn't want me to come back this year."

"why not?"

"let me see. uh, because of you. the daily prophet's been saying a lot of things about you, harry, and dumbledore as well."

"what, and your mum believes them?"

"well, nobody was there the night cedric died."

"oh well, i guess you should read the prophet then like your stupid mother, it'll tell you everything you need to know."

"don't you dare talk about my mother like that," seamus stood his ground.

"i'll have a go at anyone who calls me a liar."

"what's going on?" ron interrupted.

"he's mad is what's going on! the only one who believes the rubbish thats coming out of his mouth are you and that half brain lily who's desperate to believe anything."

ron turned red with anger. impulsively, he grabbed seamus by the collar and looked him down.

"don't you ever call her names," he growled, seamus looking very intimidated. "she's smarter than you will ever be." he let go of seamus and looked at everyone in the common room. "anyone else got a problem with lily or harry?" he gritted.

everyone looked a bit scared and no one said a word.