26

lily rushed up the steps to umbrigde's classroom, not wanting to be late to detention.

at the top of the staircase, harry stood completely bothered, but he noticed lily and softened up.

"hey, harry."

"hi, lily. um, listen. thanks for standing up for me."

she smiled sweetly. "i'll follow you through anything harry potter. i'll never stop believing in you."

"yeah, i'm starting to think you're the only one."

"it's not about numbers," she reminded before entering the classroom and heading to her office.

it was pink, covered with fine china that had cats all over them.

"good evening, mr potter and miss diggory. sit," she motioned to the two desks in front of her. "you're gonna be doing some lines for me today." the two reached for their quills, but she stopped them. "no, not with your quills. going to be using a rather special one of mine."

she handed the two a quill each and turned to harry.

"i want you to write... 'i must not tell lies'. and you miss diggory, 'i must not speak out of turn'."

"how many times?"

"as long as it takes for the message to sink in."

lily internally groaned as hers was longer. "you haven't given us any ink," she sassed.

"oh you won't be needing any ink."

the two looked at each other and rolled their eyes, turning to the parchment and starting to write lines.

suddenly, lily felt a sharp pain ting on top of her right hand, as she was left handed. the words she had been writing started to appear on her hand, blood starting to leak. the writing overlapped, causing more pain. and lily swore to have heard professor umbridge giggle in the most cynical way.

once she had let them go, lily stood at the exit and waited for harry, who seemed to take forever.

when he came out, he started, "not a word to anyone."

"agreed. also, tell ron i can't make it to study today," she whispered, walking down with him.

he nodded and then the two went their separate ways.

once he entered the gryffindor tower, hermione and ron were there.

"you're barely done?" he asked. "tell me about it later, i gotta meet lily."

"ron, lily said todays no good. lines with the professor wore her out."

"really? bummer, starting to hate that professor more and more," he frowned and sat back down on the couch. "at least the three of us can study."

the three began to study, trying to ignore the ruckus of the lively bunch of people in the common room.

"what's wrong with your hand?" hermione asked.

"nothing," he mumbled as he showed her his right hand.

"the other one," she said, pulling his wrist.

they all looked at his hand.

"don't tell me lily's got the same thing," ron gritted, getting angry.

"she made me promise not to tell. you can't bring it up, she won't trust me."

"but if-"

"you don't get it. you don't understand."

"you've got to tell dumbledore, the both of you."

"he's got enough on his mind right now. anyways neither of us want to give umbridge the satisfaction."

"bloody hell, she's torturing you and lily. i can't just-just let it slide," his hands formed into fists.

"if the parents knew-"

"well we don't have any, do we? mine are dead and lily's left."

"harry you have to report this. it's perfectly simple," hermione tried to reason.

"it's not! hermione, whatever this is, it's not simple. you don't understand."

"then help us to."

harry packed his things and left, but not before saying, "and don't bother lily 'bout it either."

ron frowned.