34

following lesson with harry, the lot was getting better with practice and finally holidays came rolling around.

"so that's it for this lesson. now we're not gonna be meeting until after the holidays," harry announced, earning soft groans and awes from the rest. "so just keep practicing on your own the best you can. a-and well done, everyone. great work."

the group started clapping and ron whispered to harry, "well done mate."

then everyone started to leave, grabbing their things and getting ready to go.

ron went up to lily and tried to talk to her.

"are you going home for the holidays? to france?" he asked softly.

"i am. my sisters been really lonely and i want to cheer her up," she smiled sadly.

"if anything happens, you let me know. you can always come back to us."

"i know. and you too. if anything happens, i'll be there before you can say floo powder," she joked as she put her robe on.

"when do you leave?" he asked.

"um, 'morrow," she said, picking up her bag. "don't forget to write okay." lily started to say goodbye.

"wha-what? don't you want me to walk you?" he opened his arms and flailed them around.

"erm, no. ernie's waiting for me."

"he's been chatting you up a lot recently," he frowned.

"well we are prefects? you're acting strange ron."

"somethings off about him," he muttered outloud, turning to the boy who was waiting.

"what could possibly be wrong? i've known him my whole life."

"isnt it strange to you? suddenly he's walking you back and waiting for you. be careful. he's not right." 

"no ron. it's kind. he's always been a bit of a tease to me when i was younger because he was ceds friend but now that things have changed, he's nicer. is that such a big deal, ron? someone actually being respectful to me?" she looked as if she wanted to cry.

"n-no," he mumbled nervously, feeling guilty.

a tear slipped and lily immediately wiped it away.

ernie came up behind her and touched her shoulder, "everything alright, violet?"

she nodded and turned to the side.

"violet?" ron questioned.

"yeah, her middle name. merlin, weasley, do you even know her?" ernie taunted, knowing exactly what he was doing.

"guess not." ron looked down. lily sniffed a bit.

"nice one, weasley. making girls cry? some sort of talent of yours, or is it a hobby?"

"give it a rest, ern. let's just go," she sighed, waving goodbye to ron.

ron was dumbfounded, watching the two leave. hermione looked at him, "what happened?"

"he called her violet."

"maybe it's a personal thing. has she ever told you her middle name?"

"she hasn't," ron frowned.