10

harry, ron and lily stood around in the courtyard, the boys brainstorming ideas on who to ask to the ball. lily would tell them if said girl had already been asked or not.

"what about your friends?"

"mine?"

"yeah, those three girls that always look at me when i ask you to hang out."

"well lydia's got a date, she's been asked by jackson. and talia's been asked by simon."

"simon jennings already has a date to the ball?" ron asked in disbelief.

"i don't understand why you guys have waited so long, almost everyone has been paired off."

"what about the other one? kim?"

"there's a rumor going out that matt is gonna ask her, so she's waiting."

"bloody hell."

suddenly, loud stomping by some durmstrang boys was heard, so the three turned to see a boy ask a ravenclaw to the dance.

they were both equally mind boggled by the interaction they had just seen.

"it's not that easy, is it?"

lily sighed, "it is."

< >

"this is mad. at this rate, we're gonna be the only ones in our year without dates," ron complained, only to get his head pushed in by prof. snape.

he thought for a bit and then whispered to harry, who laughed and whispered something back.

hermione obviously heard what lily didn't and said, "it might interest you to know, but nevilles already got someone."

"oh, now i'm really depressed." lily sighed. then, she saw fred write on a paper and pass it to ron.

"who are you going with then?" he asked.

fred threw a paper at angelina and she turned with an attitude.

"angelina," fred whispered-yelled.

"what?" she mouthed.

fred made some signs to her implying that he wanted to go the ball with her.

"the ball? yeah, alright," she smiled. 

fred turned back to ron and sneered with a wink.

ron thought for a bit and then turned to the girls.

"you guys are girls, right?"

"very well spotted," hermione gritted.

"why don't you guys come with us? lily with me and you with harry?" he managed to get out before being hit on the head by snape again, as well as harry.

"i don't mind showing up alone, but for a girl, that's just sad," ron commented.

hermione has had enough and became upset. "we won't be going alone because believe it or not, someone's already asked us," she stood up, closed her book and took her notes to snape, handing them in. "and i said yes!" she stormed out of the room.

"bloody hell," ron mumbled before turning to lily. "she's lying right?"

"she said she got asked."

"no, but you, you have a date?"

"i do."

"who is it?" ron asked in disbelief.

"cameron gerber," she admitted. "he asked me the day of first practice with mcgonagall."

"since then? and you didn't even tell me?"

"you never asked! you just assumed i didn't have anyone," she snapped suddenly, instantly regretting it. "sorry." lily stood up, gathered her things and turned in her assignment to snape.

cameron, who had seen the whole thing unfold in front of him wanted hurry and comfort her, but was no where near finishing his assessment. but ernie was, so he took his chance and comforted her.