25

"lily! did you hear about what ron did?" kimberly said, running up the stairs catch up to lily and talia, who were heading to defense against the dark arts.

"what did he do? what?" her eyes widened.

"maybe he should tell you for himself," she smirked, pulling talia and running away from lily, who scoffed.

"kim! you gotta tell me!" she ran after them. once they made it into the classroom, she ran directly into ron.

"you alright there?" he asked concerned.

lily blushed and stepped away from him, not looking at his face.

"i'm fine," she mumbled.

"wanna be partners?"

"huh?" she blinked.

"partners, for class? umbridge is new and i don't know if i'll understand anything from her," he scratched the back of his neck.

"oh, um sure."

the two sat down and messed around with the other students.

"oh! ron! kim mentioned something that happened, she said i should ask you myself."

ron turned red. "uh, well, um. er, i, uh, i walked in late but seamus-"

just then, professor umbridge destroyed the paper bird that was flying around the classroom. everyone turned and watched as she walked to the front of the class, staring at her massive bum.

"good morning children. ordinary wizarding level examinations. o-w-ls. more commonly known as owls. study hard and you will be rewarded. fail to do so, and consequences may be severe." she flicked her wand and the textbook started to pass itself.

"your previous instruction on this subject has been disturbingly uneven. but you'll be please to know, from now on you'll be following a carefully structured ministry-approved course of defensive magic. yes?"

"but this is all theory," lily mumbled outloud, looking through the textbook.

"theres nothing about using defensive spells here?" hermione said loudly.

"using spells? well, i can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"we're not gonna use magic?" ron questioned.

"you'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"well what use is that?" lily asked.

"if we're gonna be attacked, it won't be risk-free," harry furthered the argument.

"students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." she suddenly said, lily thinking it was unfair since everyone else was doing it. "it is the view if the ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient-"

"thats a load of rubbish," lily scoffed.

"detention, miss diggory! as i was saying, theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about."

"and how's theory supposed to prepare us for whats out there?" harry began to get agitated.

"there is nothing out there, dear. who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

"oh, i don't know. maybe lord voldemort." everyone dropped their heads or looked at harry. but lily stayed glaring at professor umbridge. she looked around as if she was about to burst, but managed to keep her cool.

"now, let me make this quite plain. you have been told that a certain dark wizard is a large once again. this is a lie."

"it's not a lie! i saw him! i fought him!"

"detention, mr. potter!"

"so according do you, cedric died of his own accord?" lily stood, beyond frustrated. ron motioned for her to sit back down, but she shrugged him off, nothing being more important than this conversation.

"dear, what happened to your brother was a tragic accident."

"it was murder! voldemort killed him. you must know that!"

"enough!" she yelled. "you two. my office later."