Chapter 2

The next day

"MMMMMUUUAH!"

I could've sworn the sound of my grandma kissing my cheek could be heard by everyone from here to California.

"Look at my little grand babies all grown up!" I force a smile at her in an attempt to show a bit of enthusiasm.

After a 7 Hour Drive, my family and I had arrived at the wooden house that belonged to my grandparents. Their home was definitely not the modern style apartment I lived in but I'd be a liar if I said it didn't have a comfortably homey feeling to it.

I trailed behind the others as they lead the way up the stairs to the main floor. The large set of glass windows climbed all the way to the top of the second story, allowing for the main living room to be visible from the front patio and completely lit up with sunlight. The exterior walls were made of very large, carefully cut, sanded, and polished logs that stacked up around the entirety of the house. I admired the way everything seemed to fit together so naturally and thought about how my grandpa helped build the whole thing when my father was young.

As impressed as I was with the exterior of the building, my awe did not stop when we went inside. Nana had definitely put her interior design experience to good use.

The den was decorated with neutral-colored furniture centered around a very large fireplace built into the wall. The ceiling had wooden beams stretched across the room to provide support as well as hold a beautiful chandelier suspended above the low riding table placed in front of the couch.

The floorboards below me slightly creaked as I continued through the house to the kitchen. The very spacious room was centered around a large island with marble countertops but the items placed on top of the counter were what caught my attention.

Food.

Shocking, I know.

I could only assume my Nana had been the one to place the assortment of crackers, cheese, meats, and chocolate. As much as I had dreaded coming on this trip, she definitely knew the way to my heart.

"I may not have been able to physically be with you kids for years," my nana started with a smirk on her lips, "but that doesn't mean I don't have my ways of finding out what you want. I will also be making Kare-Raisu for dinner so don't snack too much!"

Kare-Raisu is a Japanese-style curry and rice entrée complemented with a variety of meats and vegetables. Her mom taught her how to make it when she was still a young girl living in Tokyo. It was also my favorite home-cooked meal and she knew it.

I guess this trip won't be so bad.

———

After everyone finished eating and the post-dinner cleanup process was almost completed, my baby sister and I decided it was time to see what all this outdoor experience hype was about.

"Don't be out too late, girls." My mother called after us.

"And be careful. I'm not in the mood to start this trip with a run to the ER." my Nana followed with.

"Have fun you two, and go check out the river while you're out." My grandpa gave us a genuine smile and wave while he sat in a recliner near my father, who was sat on the couch looking at me with an unreadable expression.

I smiled back at my grandpa then dropped it as I made eye contact with my father. I thought I could almost see a glint of concern in his face but was pulled back into reality by Mika.

Literally.

She pulled my arm as she ran out the front door and dragged me behind her down the stairs as I left earshot from the muffled conversation of my family behind me.

"Has she figured it out yet?" My grandpa asked his son.

"No. But I'm sure she will soon." He responded.

My mother and Nana looked each other with hesitant smiles as though they were trying to comfort each other from the thoughts of the near future.

They knew something was coming.

And soon, so would I.

———

When playing volleyball, one of my favorite things about being on the court was the feeling of knowing you aren't alone. Knowing that there were six of you that were all feeling the same pressure and excitement. Knowing you were all thinking the same thing.

Get the ball up and over.

Everything was a team effort. Even in serving when everyone was looking at you and made you feel like you were the only one who could affect the game in that moment.

The energy of your teammates in front of you have an effect. Your coach and teammates on the bench have an effect. Your supporters and opposers spectating the game have an effect.

You have to clear your mind of all things other than volleyball while also looking from the perspective of others. Checking what you say when they get a good set. Reacting correctly to when they score a point. Paying attention to how you look when the ball comes over the net. But more important than any of those moments, are how you are when things don't go according to plan.

Short serves. Poor receives. Missed spikes.

When you are in a game, everyone and everything is working together for the same effort. Every comment, every call, every point, every encouragement. It's all put in place to propel your team until they ultimately reach the end of the game.

That working unison from the court was happening right in front of me.

As I leaned against my hand I had placed on the bark of a big tree, everything outside of my view faded away. The sound of water falling and hitting the surface of more water filled my ears. The smell of nothing but fresh oxygen provided by the dense greenery around me filled my nose. The feeling of raw earth beneath my feet and the warmth of the natural world surrounded my body.

That feeling of pure bliss from the court was the same I felt in that moment. The feeling of everything working together for the same purpose. I felt like I was where I was meant to be. I had the feeling I was meeting a part of myself I never knew previously.

And then once again, I was brought back to reality.

"RACE YA!" Mika's voice pierced through the thoughts I was stuck inside of. She had already taken her shoes and socks off before she was climbing onto the rocks surrounding the river, making her way towards the waterfall.

No way was about about to lose a race to a literal child.

I removed my shoes and stopped for just a second so I could feel the dirt under my feet before I sprinted after her.