Chapter 33

White noise

Ringing

Ear piercing silence

I feel like my body is floating in a pool of nothingness

Like my skin can feel no contact yet is somehow being supported in the air

Jesus fucking Christ I feel like I got hit by a plane

As I try to feel around my surroundings, my hands are met with open space as the ringing in my ears slowly dies down. The silence, that had the same feeling you get when someone drags their nails on a chalkboard, had begun to be overtaken by a sound.

A voice?

Two voices?

And a third. That voice I definitely know.

"Did you sleep, Midoriya?"

"No, not really."

"I figured. Me neither. With everything that happened last night, the Hero Killer, my father, and on top of that, Krystal laying only a few feet away from us yet she hasn't said a word since passing out, there's too much of my mind. I'm worried."

"Yeah, I agree."

The two voices belonged to a certain green-haired boy and his heterochromatic-eyed friend as well as the occasional interjection by our class rep. Hearing them talk about their injuries as well as mine made my heart ache as I forced myself to speak.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but your voices sound like shrieks from hell to my ears right now." I say only half joking.

"Krystal!" Shoto's quietly exclaims.

"Hirawa! How are you feeling?" Midoriya asks.

Waving my hand lazily yet dismissively at the worry in their voices, I take notice of the small smiles of relief now laid upon all three of their faces.

"Oh, So the injured youngins are awake." A short, old man who Midoriya refers to as 'Gran Torino' says.

"And Manuel, too." Iida also adds.

"Idiot. I could yell at you for hours right now, but before I do, you've got a visitor." Gran Torino gestures towards the door and a tall man with the head of a dog walks in.

Hosu city's chief of police, Kenji Tsuragamae.

The aura in the room suddenly turns very anxious as Iida and Shoto rise to their feet. Midoriya and I attempted to do the same but he stops us.

"No, please, stay seated, woof. So you're the UA students who brought down the Hero Killer, huh?" The chief asks.

"We are." Shoto replies but something in the back of my mind told me he would regret it.

"Stain has some serious injuries. Severe burns and several broken bones. Right now he's in the hospital under strict guard, woof. Here's a lesson you should have already learned." I sucked in a breath, preparing to hear the words I already knew were coming. " When quirks became the norm, the police force sought to maintain the status quo. They decided we wouldn't use quirks as weapons. That's when heroes came in. They could do what we couldn't, if they were licensed, of course, woof. It would be impossible for the police to condone the use of deadly quirks. After all, we are here to stop such harm from being done. The only reason pros can use their powers now is because of a strict code of ethics that the early heroes chose to abide by. That's why it's against the law for uncertified people to use their quirks to cause injury. Whether you were up against the Hero Killer or not, none of you had the authority to harm the villain. That means the three of you, and your supervisors—Endeavor, Manual, and Gran Torino—should receive harsh punishments for this gross abuse of your powers."