one - hundred - "pro bono surgery day" - one - hundred

"Medical schools often ask applicants for an essay describing a time they faced adversity and how they overcame it. They want to know how people will cope with the challenges they'll face as a doctor. Some students worry they have nothing to write about. They haven't faced difficulty. I didn't have that problem. Experts say the more resilient we are, the better we can face life's challenges. And the single biggest factor for cultivating resilience? Positive relationships. So find your people and keep them close. Because when you're at your lowest, those people get you through."
-Meredith Grey, S17E4, "You'll Never Walk Alone"

"My Mom used to tell me never to judge people until you know their story. You might think you understand, but you don't. That's why, as a patient, it's important to have an advocate. Someone to tell your story, to be your voice, to say your name, especially when you don't have a voice yourself. Patients lose their power when they're referred to as "bed number four" or "arm pain guy". Even in their deaths, they are not faceless. They are not nameless. They are more than statistics. More than co-morbid conditions or nursing home patients. They are sons, brothers, and uncles who speak five languages and run restaurants. Wade Klein, 66. They are great-grandfathers who love Broadway. Jacob Lappin, 92. They are baseball-loving nurses with an easy laugh. Dane Wilson, 45. They are the world's greatest mothers, and they are the most beloved wives. Elena Rose Bailey, 84."
-Miranda Bailey, S17E5, "Fight The Power"

"When a virus finds its way into our bodies, our immune system unleashes an attack. It puts up a good fight and then stands down. Or at least, that's what it's supposed to do. Sometimes, the system works so hard that it completely goes off the rails. Immune cells start attacking healthy tissue. They flood the lungs, clot the blood, cause vessels to leak and shut down organs. Our body wreaks havoc on itself. It's called the cytokine storm. And it takes a miracle to stop it. Sometimes, when you think the storm has passed, you realize you were just in the eye of it."
-Meredith Grey, S17E6, "No Time For Despair"

"Hello?!"

"Mer?"

"George?! What are you doing here?"

Anna walks through the parking lot of Seattle Pres, heading through the front doors, walking her familiar route to the chief's office. When she opens the door, her resident and the cheif are already there, waiting for her. She gives a polite smile, even if they can't tell from behind her mask, and takes a seat on one of the chairs that are spread six feet apart, "Thank you for meeting with me. I know you're both very busy."

"Dr. Shepherd." The chief nods, motioning for her to continue.

"A family member of mine has covid. And due to the rise in diagnoses here, I would like to continue working, as much as I can, from home. I know, obviously, I won't be able to complete my entire internship over a computer, but I'd still like to complete as much as possible."

"A wise decision." The chief nods, "I know this isn't easy for you, but my staff's health is just as important as our patients. If you're not healthy, you can't help patients. Right now, we all need to be very cautious."

"It's been a pleasure having you here, Dr. Shepherd," Dr. Prakasam speaks up, "This is an unfortunate situation for us all, but we will have you engaging and learning as much as you can. I'll be sending you some emails regarding what I'll expect of you during your work from home."

After their meeting wrapped up, Anna left the hospital and got back in her car, making sure go sanitize her hands, heading back to the hotel where she would quarantine for fourteen days before going home.

"Derek said the sand isn't real."

"Yeah, no. Neither is the ocean. It is nice, though. I wouldn't want to leave either."