sixty - seven - "the surge" - sixty - seven

"This is how my mother wanted to be remembered. My memory of her is a little bit different. I'm sure everyone remembers their own version of her. Versions I wouldn't even recognize. It's all that's really left of someone when they're gone. But that's the tricky thing. Nobody's memory is perfect or complete. We jumble things up. We lose track of time. We are in one place and another. And it all feels like one long, inescapable moment. It's just like my mother used to say: The carousel never stops turning. They say we can repress our memories. I wonder if we're just keeping them safe somewhere. Because no matter how painful they are, they are our most valuable possessions. Our lives are built on our mistakes as much as our successes. They made us who we are."
-Meredith & Ellis Grey, S11E4, "Only Mama Knows"

"Uncontrollable bleeding. Acidosis. Cold. We all know what the combination means. We call it the triad of death. The point of no return. It's the moment in the OR where you turn to damage control. You stop. You step back. You let the body rest and see if you find a solution to the chaos that's happening inside. Once the chaos subsides, we have to go back. Take another look. We have to ask ourselves: can this body be put back together? If we've done our jobs right, it can. We stop the bleeding. We sew up the damage. We make the body whole again. But no matter how hard we try, we have to realize some things just can't be fixed."
-Arizona Robbins & Callie Torres, S11E5, "Bend & Break"

"Trauma is messy. Chaotic. Looking at a body that's been reduced to a bloody pulp, it might seem difficult to know where to start. Luckily, some very clever person developed a protocol: the ABCs. Airway, breathing, circulation. The ABCs keep your patient alive so you can figure out how to tackle the rest of the mess. If only all of life's problems could be solved with an intubation tube. The ABCs of trauma are a handy tool for keeping a patient alive, but they're only a starting point. Once the patient's airway, breathing, and circulation are all clear and accounted for, the real work begins. The messy work. There's no telling how long it's gonna take to clean up that chaos once you've begun, because sometimes, you don't know what you're in for. You don't know exactly what you're about to face. You don't know what secrets the body in front of you holds and whether, by the time it's all over, if there's anything left worth saving."
-Meredith Grey, S11E6, "Don't Let's Start"

"They say life doesn't give you second chances. But we do. Surgeons do. You break a bone, we put it back together. You bleed, we make it stop. You flatline, we resuscitate you. But as much as we give people second chances, surgeons don't usually get them, because the kind of mistakes we make, are sometimes impossible to recover from. It's hard to give second chances. It's even harder to ask for them. A chance to do it again, knowing what you know now, what you've learned. A chance to do it completely differently. A chance to right our wrongs, to try and correct our mistakes. A chance to try and start over, from scratch."
-Meredith Grey, S11E7, "Could We Start Again, Please?"

Derek knocked on Anna's bedroom door before opening it. She was sitting cross-legged on her bed with her laptop, textbooks, and papers spread around her. She closed her laptop as he entered, "Hey."

"Hey." Derek gave her a small smile, taking a seat at the end of her bed, "What are you doing?"

"Art History." Anna said, sarcastically, "So much fun."

"Isn't it, always?" Derek grinned.

"What's up?"

"I just, uh... haven't talked to you in awhile. Wanted to see how you were doing."

"I'm fine, dad."

"Of course, you are. You're perfect."

Derek thought of everything he wanted to say, but didn't know how to start. Ever since he decided to stay here in Seattle, and not go to DC, he's been putting distance between himself and everyone else... in hopes that he wouldn't lash out, or say something to hurt them. The last thing he wanted to do was strain his relationship with his family, his wife, his kids. But, he soon realized, the distance was doing just as much damage. Meredith and Anna both noticed it and so did Amelia and everyone else at work.