twenty-one - "the denny duquette memorial clinic"- twenty-one

"In life only one thing is certain, apart from death and taxes: No matter how hard you try, no matter how good your intentions, you are going to make mistakes. You are going to hurt people. You are going to get hurt. And if you ever want to recover, there's really only one thing you can say. Forgive and forget. That's what they say. It's good advice, but it's not very practical. When someone hurts us, we want to hurt them back. When someone wrongs us, we want to be right. Without forgiveness old scores are never settled. Old wounds never heal, and the most we can hope for is that one day we'll be lucky enough to forget."
-Meredith Grey, S4E4, "The Heart of The Matter"

"There's a reason surgeons learn to wield scalpels. We like to pretend we're hard, cold scientists. We like to pretend we're fearless. But the truth is we become surgeons because somewhere deep down we think we can cut away that which haunts us. Weakness, frailty, death. It isn't just surgeons. The truth is I don't know anyone who isn't haunted by something or someone. And whether we try to slice the pain away with a scalpel or shove it in the back of a closet- our efforts usually fail. So the only way we can clear out the cobwebs is to turn a new page or put an old story to rest - finally, finally to rest."
-Meredith Grey, S4E5, "Haunt You Every Day"

"There's this thing about being a surgeon. Maybe it's pride or maybe it's just about being tough. But a true surgeon never admits they need help unless absolutely necessary. Surgeons don't need to ask for help because they're tougher than that. Surgeons are cowboys. Rough around the edges. Hardcore. At least, that's what they want you to think. Deep down, everyone wants to believe they can be hardcore. But being hardcore isn't just about being tough - it's about acceptance. Sometimes you have to give yourself permission to not be hardcore for once. You don't have to be tough every minute of every day. It's okay to let down your guard. In fact, there are moments when it's the best thing you can possibly do - as long as you choose your moments wisely."
-Meredith Grey, S4E6, "Kung Fu Fighting"

"You know, for a guy who supposedly got dumped, you seem pretty happy." Anna told her father one morning on their hike before breakfast.

"I didn't get dumped." Derek said, "It was mutual."

"So..." Anna kicked at a rock on the path, watching it roll through the mud, "It's really over with Meredith?"

"I think so." Derek sighed.

"Dad? What happened?"

"I don't know, honey. I think maybe I was looking for a more serious relationship than she was. Meredith's just not ready."

"Maybe you can work it out."

"Maybe."

Anna and Derek finished off their hike and made it back to the trailer. They ate breakfast, took Anna to school, and then went to the hospital for the day.

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"That was a mean thing to say."

"I'm aware of that because I'm generally not a mean person. But I'm a person who just doesn't want to know you. And you are a person who's making that very difficult. So please, just stop making it so difficult for me to not know you, okay?"

"I am a nice person."

"Okay."

"I am. And I don't know what it is that I did to you, but, you know, we have the same dad. So I was thinking a simple conversation-"