forty - three - "chief shepherd" - forty - three

"Question - when was the last time a complete stranger took off her clothes in front of you, pointed to a big purple splotch on her back, and asked, "what the hell is this thing?" If you're a normal person, the answer is hopefully, never. If you're a doctor the answer is probably about five minutes ago. People expect doctors to have all of the answers. The truth is, we love to think that we have all of the answers, too. Basically, doctors are know-it-alls until something comes along that reminds us we're not. We're all looking for answers in medicine, in life, in everything. Sometimes the answers we're looking for have been hiding just below the surface. Other times, we find answers when we didn't even realize we were asking the question. Sometimes the answers can catch us completely by surprise. And sometimes, even when we find the answer we've been looking for, we're still left with a whole hell of a lot of questions."
-Meredith Grey, S7E7, "That's Me Trying"

"The human body is a highly pressurized system. The blood pressure measures the force of blood, pulsating through the arteries. It's important to keep this pressure regulated. Low or inadequate pressure can cause weakness or failure. It's when the pressure gets too high... that problems really occur. If the pressure continues to increase, a closer examination is called for... Because it's the best indicator that something is going terribly wrong. Every pressurized system needs a relief valve. There has to be a way to reduce the stress, the tension, before it becomes too much to bear. There has to be a way to find relief, because if the pressure doesn't find a way out... it'll make one. It will explode. It's the pressure we put on ourselves... that's the hardest to bear. The pressure to be better than we are. The pressure to be better than we think we can be. It never ever lets up. It just builds and builds and builds."
-Meredith Grey, S7E8, "Something's Gotta Give"

"We, doctors, take pride in the fact that we can basically sleep standing up. Anytime, anywhere. But it's a false pride, because the truth is after about 20 hours without sleep you might as well just come to work drunk. Doctor or not. So it's no wonder that fatal medical errors increase at night when we doctors are, proudly, sleeping on our feet. Recently, our communal pride has been shattered, and our egos have been wounded by new laws that require that we sleep all day before we work all night. We're not happy about it. But as someone who may one day need medical care, you really should be. Under the cover of darkness people do things they'd never do under the harsh glare of day. Decisions feel wiser. People feel bolder. But when the sun rises, you have to take responsibility for what you did in the dark. And face yourself under the cold, harsh light of day."
-Meredith Grey, S7E9, "Slow Night, So Long"

"The first 24 hours after surgery are critical. Every breath you take, every fluid you make is meticulously recorded and analyzed. Celebrated or mourned. But what about the next 24 hours? What happens when that first day turns to two and weeks turn into months? What happens when the immediate danger has passed, when the machines are disconnected and the teams of doctors and nurses are gone? Surgery is when you get saved. But post-op, after surgery, is when you heal. But what if you don't? The goal of any surgery is total recovery, to come out better than you were before. Some patients heal quickly and feel immediate relief. For others the healing happens gradually. And it's not until months or even years later that you realize you don't hurt anymore. So the challenge after any surgery is to be patient. But if you can make it through the first weeks and months, if you believe that healing is possible, then you can get your life back. But that's a big if."
-Meredith Grey, S7E10, "Adrift and at Peace"

Derek walked next to Anna as she supported herself on her crutches and headed inside Seattle Grace. As they went to the elevators, and got in, Mark smiled at the father-daughter duo.

"Derek, Little Shepherd." Mark said, "Gettin' the cast off today, hmm? Bet you've been waiting for it."

"Oh, she has." Derek answered for her, nodding at Mark as he got off the elevator and they headed to the pediatric floor.