seventy - four - "grey sloan memorial hospital" - seventy - four

"You might be surprised, but anatomy classes can be uncomfortable for surgeons. We're trained to put bodies back together. We prefer our tissue warm, alive. Usually when a surgeon is staring at dead tissue, it means that something is very, very wrong. There are some things in life that simply can't be avoided, no matter how uncomfortable they make us and there can be rewards in stepping outside of your comfort zone. Even when the thought of it makes us want to puke. Even when we want nothing more than to run screaming for the hills. That's why people love to say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But sometimes, those people don't know what the hell they're talking about."
-Meredith Grey, S12E4-S12E5, "Old Time Rock and Roll & Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

"According to this man's family, he was not a smoker, but the truth is he smoked two packs a day, in his car for twenty years, while his wife and children slept. Sometimes, the patient's shame is the elephant in the room. They try to hide it from us, but you can't hide from a surgeon because the body doesn't lie. The truth is right here for everyone to see and it doesn't need to say a single word. They say shame controls every aspect of human behavior. It's about who we believe we are. But in the end, you can't hide, and the body doesn't lie. The truth is right there for the world to see. Our shame can choke us. Kill us. Can rot us from the inside, if we decide to let it. Don't let that happen to you."
-Meredith Grey, S12E6, "The Me Nobody Knows"

"Every surgeon is trained to look for problems. To look at a person and say: "What's wrong with you?" We're trained to foresee the ugliest possible outcome. When your job is to make people better, you're automatically inclined to look for the worst in them. It's hard to fight against certain biases. It's important to keep an open mind. It's how we learn. It's how we grow. It's how we move forward. Until we don't. Until we let our bias take over. Until we succumb to what feels right, or good, or satisfying in that moment, because even then, deep down inside, we usually know we're going to regret it."
-Meredith Grey, S12E7, "Something Against You"

The Grey-Shepherd family were now living in the old house with Maggie and Amelia. It was weird being back, but Anna was happy seeing how much it lifted up Meredith's spirits. She finally seemed in a good place since Derek's death.

It was early in the morning, Anna had just woken up, she exited her bedroom and walked down the hall. Maggie's bedroom door opened, as Amelia came upstairs, and they both watched in shock as a man stepped out into the hall.

"Good morning." Amelia smiled, walking towards the bathroom in just her robe.

Anna remained silent, shaking her head, walking downstairs. She found Meredith awake and leaning against the kitchen counter, a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Morning." Meredith mumbled, "I have to wake the kids up in-"

She stopped talking as Andrew walked out the front door, "Um? Who was that?"

"Maggie's boy toy," Anna answered, opening the fridge.

"He's the intern." Meredith said, recognizing him.

"We're out of... everything," Anna sighed, "I guess I'll buy something."

"I'll go to the store before our dinner party tomorrow." Meredith promised, "Are you excited for today? Going back for classes."

"Not really. It's gonna be pretty annoying with everyone asking me why I took a leave, where I've been..."

"Tell them to mind their own business," Meredith suggested, "Or you could just lie."

"Well, well, well..." Anna said, as Maggie hurried down the stairs, "How was your night?"

"I'm not talking about that." Maggie shook her head, embarrassed, "Let's just not."