ninety - "code black" - ninety

"We all need a place to feel safe, to feel sheltered, protected. For most people, it means a home. For most surgeons, it means a hospital. In the hospital, we're rarely blindsided. And there's always something to keep us busy. We always know what to do next. It's a cosy little box. We look for shelter in a storm, but sometimes, we can't find it. Sometimes, we're at the mercy of the winds. We have nothing left but to accept it. When we face the storm, no matter how scary, no matter how much power it has over us, when we face it, we find we are the shelter. We'll survive. We find ourselves coming out the other side stronger for it. We might even find ourselves happy."
-Meredith Grey, S15E9, "Shelter from the Storm"

"Voltaire said that the art of medicine is amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. So according to one of the greatest French philosophers of all time, surgeons aren't really helpers. We're more like circus clowns. But help comes in many forms. And something tells me Voltaire never held an aorta while a patient's entire blood volume pulsated between his fingers. Help comes in many forms. A kidney. A kind gesture. A friend to light your way. And still, too often, we insist on doing it ourselves. We're afraid of looking weak, of not being tough. Truth is we're all capable of walking through the world by ourselves. But most of the time, life is better with company."
-Meredith Grey, S15E10, "Help, I'm Alive"

"Battle. Fight. Win. Lose. These are the words we use when someone is diagnosed with an illness or a disease. We use militarized language that implies it's a fair fight. But when it comes to life and death, what does winning really look like? Is a person a loser for dying when the outcome isn't really in their control? When it comes to medicine, who's to say what is winning or losing? There's just as much value in trying again as there is in letting go. Letting go of suffering, regret, pain, fear. Instead of saying someone we love is battling, beating, fighting, winning or losing, why don't we just tell the truth? We get sick. We take our medicine. Some of us live, some die."
-Meredith Grey, S15E11, "Winner Takes It All"

"Time is a strange thing. When you're waiting for something good to happen, it can feel like time is dragging on. But when you want it to slow down, it goes by in the blink of an eye. The odd part is time isn't real. It's a concept imagined by scientist based on the imperfect movement of the Earth around the Sun. So why do we put so much importance on something that's just a theory? Because it's all we have. There's never enough time. Work. Kids. Life. Death. Something always cuts our time short. So our best bet is to make the most of the time we have. Or make up for lost time. But sometimes, if we're really lucky, time stands still."
-Meredith Grey, S15E12, "Girlfriend in a Coma"

"There's an invisible line in the OR. You scrub, you gown, you glove, and you approach the sterile field. It's an important boundary. It's there to protect the patient and you. Without that line, about a million things can go wrong. Funny that something so important is completely invisible. There's a reason so many babies' first word is "no." It's because it's the word they hear the most. From the second we're born, we want to cross the line, push the boundaries, test the limits. But then we grow up and learn that not all rules are bad. Some boundaries protect us. Some lines keep us safe. The nice thing about being an adult is we can choose for ourselves. We can screw the rules or we can make our own."
-Meredith Grey, S15E13, "I Walk the Line"

Just when Anna and Colton landed in California, for their week long vacation together, it seemed as though everyone back in Seattle wanted to talk to Anna all at once. Her phone kept dinging with messages from Maggie, Amelia, Alex, and Meredith. She called Meredith back, once they left the airport and got to the hotel safely, "Meredith, yes. We're fine. I will. Okay. Alright. I promise. Yup. Uh-huh. Bye."