ninety - three - "samuel norbert avery" - ninety - three

"When a patient is dying on the table, the surgeon has to keep going no matter what. When we have to pee, we hold it. When we're heartbroken, we ignore it. When we're having a miscarriage and our husband has just been shot, well, you remember. The hope that we can fix this patient is what keeps us going through the worst moments of our life. There will be no shortage of times when you feel like giving up, but you can't let that fear or desperation stop you. Even when you feel trapped. Even when it feels like there is no end in sight. Even when things are moving faster than you can comprehend. Even when every part of you is certain that all is lost."
-Meredith Grey, S15E24, "Drawn to the Blood"

"Insurmountable fear. Unbearable pain. Cruel injustice. As surgeons, we are faced with it every day. Impossible diagnosis. Family tragedy. Looming mortality. We face yours while we face our own. And some days, in the thick of it, in the worst of it, we feel just as lost as you do. When there's no clear path, all we can do is put one foot in front of the other. All we can do is the next right thing, and then the next. In the darkness, in the fog, all we can do is feel our way through and try to trust that somehow, we will come out on the other side."
-Meredith Grey, S15E25, "Jump Into the Fog"

"The organs in the human body have entirely different functions. The cells which make up those organs act independently of each other. But in a healthy body, seemingly independent cells quietly depend on the functioning of the others. Because when one system stops working, the others can't function for long. Just as organ systems are codependent for survival, so are human beings. Studies have shown that our happiness and health depends on our relationships not just functioning, but thriving. Sometimes the best we can do is bear each other's burdens and ease each other's pain. And hold each other's hands in the dark."
-Meredith Grey, S16E1, "Nothing Left to Cling To"

"When we get sick, our bodies launch a coordinated defense. It's called the immune response. Once a germ's detected, a team of white blood cells, proteins, and chemicals swarm to mount an attack. These cells catch up to the invaders and latch on, destroying them in their wake. Or at least that’s what they're supposed to do. The body's ability to come back depends on what you have to fight with and how strong you are. After we've been sick or hurt, our bodies remember. We learn from the past and develop tools to help us cope. Basically, the more we go through something, the better we can handle it if it happens again. Our bodies are prepared to bounce back. Or so we think. Sometimes an unknown throws the whole thing off."
-Meredith Grey, S16E2, "Back in the Saddle"

"Anna?" Alex looked up from his chart notes after noticing her sitting in a chair next to one of the nurses stations, "What are you doing here?"

"There's a lot of thick fog out there, can't see anything." She shrugged, "Don't wanna risk a car accident."

"Have you heard from Meredith?"

"No. Why?"

"I asked her to stay with Jo today. Thought she might be able to figure out what's wrong."

Anna stood up, watching the interns hurry behind him with trauma gowns on, "You should probably head to the ER."

Before Alex could answer, his phone went off. He looked at the page from Dr. Webber, muttering, "Freaky timing. Hey, if you're here when I'm done, text me."

Anna headed to the elevators and got on with a group of nurses. As she went up a floor, she almost ran straight into Jackson who was carrying scrubs in his hand.

"Hey." Anna greeted him, "You get paged? Fog's crazy out there."

"Not exactly."

"Okay." Anna whispered to herself, heading closer to the ER where Maggie spotted her. When Anna headed towards her, she noticed her aunt's limp, asking, "What happened to you? Wait a minute... aren't you supposed to be camping?"