fifty - "seattle presbyterian" - fifty

"I had a terrible day. We say it all the time. A fight with the boss, the stomach flu, traffic. That's what we describe as terrible, when nothing terrible is happening. These are the things we beg for, a root canal, an IRS audit, coffee spilled on our clothes. When the really terrible things happen, we start begging a god we don't believe in to bring back the little horrors and take away this. It seems quaint now, doesn't it? The flood in the kitchen, the poison oak, the fight that leaves you shaking with rage? Would it have helped, if we could see what else was coming? Would we have known that those were the best moments of our lives?"
-Meredith Grey, S8E9, "Dark Was The Night"

"Victims of a sudden impact are some of the hardest to treat. It's not just the collision that injures them, it's everything after, the centrifugal force keeps them moving; tossing them from vehicles, throwing them through windshields, slamming their internal organs into the skeleton, their bodies are injured over and over again. So there's no way to know how much damage is actually been done until they stop. You can't prepare for a sudden impact. You can't brace yourself. It just hits you. Out of nowhere. And suddenly the life you knew before is over. Forever."
-Meredith Grey, S8E10, "Suddenly"

"Have you ever had the starring role in a play? A solo in a recital? All eyes on you. Waiting for you to do what they came to see. Feeling the incredible pressure to perform. There was a time when they used to call operating rooms an operating theater. It still feels like one. Scores of people get ready for the show, the sets are arranged, there are costumes, masks, props, everything has to be rehearsed, choreographed, all leading to the moment when the curtain goes up. You know what they say about Carnegie Hall? There is only one way to get there. If only life was just a dress rehearsal... And we had time for do-overs... We'd be able to practice and practice every moment until we got it right. Unfortunately, every day of our lives is its own performance. It seems like even when we get the chance to rehearse and prepare and practice, we're still never quite ready for life's grand moments."
-Meredith Grey, S8E11, "This Magic Moment"

""There's nothing else we can do for you." These are the last words a surgeon wants to tell a patient. Giving up doesn't come easy to us, so we do everything in our power not to. For surgeons "lost cause" just means "try a little harder". When do you throw in the towel, admit that the lost cause is sometimes just that? There comes a point when it becomes too much, when we get too tired to fight anymore. So we give up. That's when the real work begins, to find hope where there seems to be absolutely none at all."
-Meredith Grey, S8E12, "Hope for the Hopeless"

"Look at that." Mark chuckles with a smile, grabbing Anna's license from her, smirking at Derek from across the table, "Anna Shepherd is a licensed driver. Wow. Dad must be feeling pretty old right about now."

Derek shook his head, laughing with his arms crossed, "You just wait until Sofia starts driving."

"Oh, God..." Mark said, realizing he, too, would have a child driving on the dangerous roads, "Her and Zola driving around the same time. Going to the mall... lying to us about where they're going."

"Heck no." Derek pointed a finger at Anna, speaking sternly, "You lie to me one time and you're taking the bus till you're 30."

"Like I'd lie to you." Anna snatched her license from Mark, putting it away, "I can't wait to be graduating soon. I'm so over boring high school."

"I don't find the old jokes funny because they're true." Derek groans, sighing loudly.

"What's going on in here?" Callie and Arizona enter the room, lunches in hand.

"Dreading the future." Mark says, Derek laughs.

"Oh, please, Mark..." Anna furrows her eyebrows, rolling her eyes, "You're a plastic surgeon. You'll stay young forever."